Linus Torvalds Taking A Break

Thats some of the people he kicked recently so I have faith.

1 Like

Yeah man. The CIA finally got to him.

Anyway, yeah. Hope Linus comes back fresh and all is well.

1 Like

But they glow in the dark! How’d they get him?

:thinking: must have been during the day… Damn.

Obviously, Majestic 12 silenced black helicopters supported by Illuminati ronin executed the operation. The CIA was just a cover, and a poor one at that.

2 Likes

Removing this and moving to the relevant thread

1 Like

Wrong thread.

There’s a CoC thread here:

EDIT: Thanks!

This seems like a dramatic change of tone from him.

1 Like

As long as the result is a, “I’ll be more polite when ruthlessly judging your code”; if instead he restrains his criticism because he feels he needs to do so to be polite… Linux and its code quality may start to suffer.

What if you want people to treat each other with respect, but only if they do so of their own free will?

If you look at the clip @SesameStreetThug just posted, specifically the line:

… people are different, I’m abrasive.
I grew up in a culture that I think is not quite as politically correct as the culture, especially in the US, today.
I also grew up in a family that was largely dysfunctional, so …

That would lend credibility to Linus seeing his actions as tough love, if you want to play amateur psychologist.

I think that as long as he doesn’t accept subpar code, we’ll be fine. You can reject code without criticizing it.

I agree. I’ve always seen it that way because he’s, frankly, similar to the way my father treated me when I was a kid. 90% of the time he would be perfectly happy, agreeable and nice, but when I messed up, you’re damn sure I remembered it.

1 Like

I think the doom and gloom reactions to his temporary departure are a bit early. Suggesting we jump ship as soon as the first signs of rot are spotted is idiotic.

It’s perfectly reasonable to expect this to be the case.
The best course of action is, in my opinion, to stay with the project. Abandonment is premature at this point and would only hand over further power over the project. This applies to the new CoC as well. All of the talk of forks flying around is potentially detrimental to preserving the values of the project.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean by this; criticizing bad code is important if you want good developers. If you don’t know what you’re doing wrong how can you hope to fix it?

I was only commenting on your concern about the pedigree of code accepted into mainline.

I completely agree that you need to tell people what’s wrong, but it’s possible to just say “no”

It’s even possible to say “no” and “here’s the technical reason why” and “here’s how you could improve it” and “thank you for your effort” without being intentionally corrosive.

At the end of the day though they are just words.

People choose to be offended by words.

3 Likes

At the end of the day, the project is better off when people help each other improve.

1 Like

Maybe he shouldn’t come back. He can do other things then, might be better off for it.

Windows guys will love this: If your Linux box will freeze in the next few weeks, don’t panic, Linus is on vacation :smiley:

1 Like

Because SJW’s don’t tolerate any form of criticism of themselves irregardless of how polite or professional it is. They think any form of criticism of their work, is an attack and, to use a popular phrase amongst them, “Not Ok”

1 Like

I keep seeing mentions of SJWs. Can you give me examples of SJWs on the mailing list? Or does it have something to do with Linus’s departure? The only “SJW” influence I’ve seen up to this point is the CoC’s politically correct nature.

It depends on what you consider sjw type tactics. there are scatterings of it here and there.

This seems more about the coc which there is another thread for.

the coc though is a political document, the author explicitly says so. It has been adopted into the linux project. The projects terms for contributing are now bound by a political movement.

The document was specifically written to allow for the authors push of their ideology and the linux project never changed it so its subject to that ideology.

1 Like