Linus (LinusTechTips) talks about X299 and Core i9

Linus runs a marketing company, Linus Media Group. Last time I check their Net Worth was well over a million dollars.

Those spineless facists at intel need their scalps ripped off!

1 Like

I made an attempt. It was not very good.

Eh, I just find that they gloss over things for the sake of brevity and to appeal to an audience aged 12-21. Not a problem with that, but I much prefer content that doesn't treat me like an uneducated neanderthal.

1 Like

I don't deny that but I'm pretty sure he had some low key money from Intel to make sure he'd talk wonderful things about their products. Same with Nvidia.

1 Like

This 1000x.

Most of their viewers are probably running mid-tier GPU. That means that the R9 380/390 were the better option in comparison to the 960/970. Especially considering the 970's autistic vram. The fact that they didn't really cover much on the AMD side of things other than to say that "nVidia is the obvious choice" is a bit screwey to me.

"I dislike allegations of people being paid shills unless there is actual proof.. and not just people having sour grapes / not agreeing with what the person said."

How is giving a million CPUs (and GPUs) to the guy and telling them to not say anything bad not shilling enough. You can dislike it all you want, but it's not an allegation, there is evidence for this statement. So we can get over that "sour grapes" and get back to reality if that's fine with you. You had damage control full force for the GTX 970, that's a great card regardless, but they went full damage control on the VRAM problems NVidia had with the 960 (bandwidth was woeful for 4 GB of VRAM) and 970 (Thank god that's mostly resolved with Pascal). So there is proof of this, this is not an agreement.

I am surprised by the lack of consistency cause now they are suddenly supporting AMD, Ryzen is obviously a great leap from FX CPUs, but they even defend fucking Polaris, and let me tell you, I was only impressed that those GPUs don't use 275W and run 90C like mine does. It was actually still less efficient than Maxwell (by a small margin).

If you think a small IPC boost is going to beat Ryzen, you got another thing coming, you don't think the next iteration of Ryzen will have an increase in IPC as well?

And this can be aplied to eSports as well, AMD really needs to start pushing themselves into that market, both CPU and GPU. Why you may ask? Go to any eSport stream, LoL, Overwatch or CS:GO I don't care, everything is sponsored by Intel, Nvidia and other brands like Asus or Gigabyte. Then you have these people who watch these streams and they decide to build something like what their pro heroes use, well, they'll use exactly those brands.

And it's kind of silly but this kind of marketing is really important nowadays, at least if you wanna have the gaming sector of buyers happy and excited. One of the first big youtubers that I saw supporting publicly AMD (in this case before the Ryzen release) was 2kliksphilip, and in return he got endorsed/sponsored by them. They need to start doing this, in a pro level and in a "youtuber" level as well, if they get around a lot by this kind of publicity people would buy their products way more.

And trust me, before I started reading about hardware (and I don't know anything compared to most of you), about Intel vs AMD/Nvidia vs AMD I'd have bought parts from the blue and green team without researching anything.

2 Likes

Nooo

I don't think ipc will save intel at all, but I think they clearly do or at least give them enough of an edge that those '1080p gamers' can justify the intel cpu purchase for those few more frames it gives them.

I think that unless amd screw up its pretty much plain sailing for them from now on

I am not surprised by the lack of consistency at all. They arent dumb they can see the writing on the wall... one will fall and one will rise :smiley:

I think we're all guilty of making uninformed purchases once in a while. Nothing to be ashamed of as long as you learn from it and grow.

Intel's saving grace right now is overclock capacity. Ryzen doesn't overclock well at all. Intel is starting to go down that path (7700k) though, so unless they can fix this, we're not going to see much competition from team blue in a few years... I think we're going to be moving towards systems that are running closer to the limits of the silicon since cooling is getting significantly better.

I don't get the controversy over X299. Anyone remember X79? It was pretty much a train wreck in the beginning. And soo many motherboards that never got fixed. I have a motherboard that won Best of Computex, it was a total mess for years. Maker just abandoned it, last bios was a beta still full of issues. But hey, I got to learn how to edit in less ancient firmware blobbs into the bios. Also got to do a couple of years of trial and error to get it table.

I think half of this is Intel just being Intel, the other half being clever marketing people like Linus stirring up controversy to get more traffic. More ad revenues and more juicy paid promotion deals. Linus might be upset, I doubt it matters one way or another for me. Intel will keep on being Intel.

I used to think Linus was an Intel fanboy with all the sponsored YT commercials he does for them but after seeing that vid of him ranting, I actually gained a little more respect for him. Although, his current content quality still sucks tho.

Linus's channel is good for watching the evolution of success in a startup. Other than that theres not much of value to the people on this forum.

1 Like

I have no issues with LTT. His content is stupid, but different than the other channels. Overall, I find him very entertaining. I don't watch his channel to learn, but to enjoy it.