Linode protect home minecraft server ip? {solved}

My god, please forgive me – my initial reaction was, “who is this pretentious fuck?”

Replying to my question on your blog, what the hell? Until I started reading through your initial post / overview… and it was glorious. Again, PLEASE forgive me. Often times I want to try and nitpick and/or justify in my head why certain software or technology choices or preferences might be different for my own use-case(s) however you went right down the line and justified all your choices, backing them up with incredibly sound rationale. Thanks for sharing, can’t wait to go dig into this and continue further. I’d also love to pick your brain someday regarding various wireless/WiFi technologies, Ubiquiti has been a real disappointment. If you’re serious I will totally at you, sir.

Be safe, look forward to consuming more of your content.

EDIT: when I got to the bottom of your post and you said you were running a P3XL with LineageOS, oh my. You’re my soulmate. I’m swooning over your technology choices. I know some really brilliant government contractors (north of the border) who are all Mac / all Ubuntu all the time and I don’t always respect that approach. Anyway, typed to you from my Pixel but I’m still running Android 11.

We often get that reaction to PLL.

However, I think that’s how he likes to come off sometimes.

I had a similar reaction when I saw the post, more like “oh come on dude, just quote the guy and call it a day” but this was glorious and totally worth.

Rootz, never change.

3 Likes

lol. heim is like this sometimes.

3 Likes

He also tends to change his username too often lol

yea i have been around since 2013ish and i never knew him by rootz. i think that was a razetheworld name. I guess somewhere else i know him by rootz.

He was rootz during tekxit, iirc…

But we be way off topic now.

2 Likes

Sheeit, I was JUST trying to recall the name of the first group I caught Mr. WWbtc with, TekSyndicate or something, eh? Not to dredge up any old/bad blood or wade into territory I know nothing of and may have no business inquiring about, but is there someplace I can read or enlighten myself on what went down to lead into Tekxit ? I assume a power struggle of sorts? I was only vaguely familiar with the scene back then, 2015-2016 – but we got L1 rising liek a phoenix from the ashes, hurray.

Not trying to make an issue or shine light or dig up any negativity that has been long buried, but if anyone privy to the broad strokes could perhaps @ me some links. I’m not inquiring about personal details or anything gory, however my failing memory and mild curiosity appears to be getting the best of me here. Thanks in advance. Don’t hate me.

Rootz, Heim, PLL, et al – YOU, sir are a gentleman and a scholar. I thank you immensely for pointing me towards that blog. Super excited to sit down and go through that.

All the time.

Long and short of it is that the cofounders of tek syndicate had disagreements, some extremely bad optics, and wound up going splitsies. Level1 is what came from it, and I daresay it’s fairly good. (But I am biased lol)

But yes, there was some drama, however it’s long over now and we don’t like bringing it up because a lot of the older users tend to get nam flashbacks, for lack of a better term.

2 Likes

true.

Oh dear. I went and watched the “Wendell blinking SOS” video – couldn’t help myself. Sorry to dredge up old nonsense, but I was just getting introduced to /r/homelab throughout summer of 2016 after devouring every quasi-interesting technology related videos on YT from 2015 and beyond, so i was aware of it happening at the time, but my memory was foggy because I barely understood who the players were, let alone the bad drama and nonsense that was none of my business anyway – unfortunate it went down in a public manner. Wendell was clearly the star, seems the community is better off for the split. Hope everyone has learned, grown, healed and maybe even moved on to bigger and better things.

This community is obviously thriving – ole Reddit has kind of gone to shit over the past couple/few years, i can barely tolerate it. Posts of retail boxes of average kit get hundreds of upvotes while legitimate tech questions and discussion gets buried in the “OOH look! Shiny things” normie crowd. Hope you don’t mind if i pull up a chair and start making myself at home. Took me a while to really mine this place for the genuine greatness contained within these virtual walls, but i think I’ve at least got an inkling where to start poking around now. Thanks for the gentle intro, fellas.

1 Like

You were saying how bad it is to have so much stuff under one roof, namely Cloudflare, oof. Right you are, my good sir. So very right you are: Tesla (TSLA), Cloudfare (NET) Breached in Verkada Security Camera Hack - Bloomberg

LOL I try to come off this way on purpose sometimes. See how people react. Who has the thick skin.

I mean people told me to back up my decisions for a while so I finally did it. thanks man. IDK I want people to all kind of do that. I wrote some guides for some it. I just got fed up with the way things were needed a change. Wanted more control over stuff

I mean when have I ever :wink:

Kink shamer :wink:

I mean way too late I guess?

That was such a mess. As much as I say it was glorious it sucked in someways man.

Im kind of nostalgic about it honestly but its more the older internet I was nostalgic about. The iconoclasticity. Now its well thats a topic for discord tbch

Its not so much about being right as its realizing oh guys holy shit This is a single point of failure that sought out to protect against single points of failure… We just made the problem bigger and keep abstracting further and further. Full stop lets question the route we are on. (But power is power and so on and so forth)

2 Likes

Staring at your moderation stats… You don’t want more points.

1 Like

Alright alright Ill go to the lounge :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Meme’d to closure.