Life with the R9 390x

for sure

1 Like

Good price on that 390x. Just how big of a jump did you see on that. coming from the 760?
And correct me if i'm wrong, but the mods on skyrim are dependant on the GPU RAM, right?

1 Like

Yes and no... The texture packs and mods - yes. They eat Vram like nobody's business. The lighting and rendering etc mods require rendering power and it's not really dependable on the quantity of video ram...

I would like to ask the OP about the thermals and about the noise in gaming... I am fairly interested in those Nitro cards.... Unless Sapphire release VaporX, in which case I will be more interested in it...

I would just find a cheap 2500k for under 125 bucks on ebay, than buying a full priced 3770k which are still going for 250-300+ USD. Heck even cheap dual xeon motherboards (8 cores/16 threads) around 3ghz comes in cheaper if you know where to look.

Currently selling an MSI twin frozr 390x in buy/sell/trade for $330, if you wanna crossfire. Came straight from MSI brand new. I used it for a couple of hours and decided to keep my gtx 970, for the color scheme balance.

Thanks for clearing that up. Appreciate it.

Well a 3770K or 3570K can also be found used for cheaper, wenn you search right.
Since topic starter has a Z77 board why not "fully" utilize it right?
But topic starter allready explained what his goals are.

I just have to ask. Are you actually seeing any bottlenecking from the i5 that you have now? I don't expect that it would be holding you back all that much with a 390x unless it is a really cpu bound game. Considering that you want to move to 1440p (which is going to be even more gpu bound), I really don't think that the cpu will be a problem for you in most games. Personally, I would upgrade everything but the cpu and mobo until the last because of how decent it is already. Bigger ssd (basically a game drive), more ram, a 1440p monitor (could go freesync, but the monoprice 1440p at $300 is very attractive imo). After all of that, then I would be looking at upgrading the cpu and mobo. Also, the real world test that I have seen (ie load times in most applications) the difference between a good sata ssd and an m.2 ssd is negligible. If anyone can find some benchmarks of real world cases where that isn't the case, then please share. IF the real world difference is actually negligible as I have seen, then I would personally prefer having more space for games and whatnot vs having a slightly faster drive. I would also be looking for the next generation of cpus, ie Zen.

How heavy is Project ENB?
Im using Poupouri's and that kills the GTX 970 with 2k textures, the VRAM recently started to become an issue. FPS outside doesn't really go above 48..

But I know the guy who makes the ENB series is some what of an Nvidia elitist from what I gathered.
I would love to know how Poupouri's ENB or Bleak ENB would run on your 390x.

Fromwhat I remember, Skyrim can only really use 4gb of vram anyway. That might have been patched or something though. Would be interested in hearing the vram usage of the OP.

1 Like

I believe you can change it in the enblocal, but I think there was something

With Skyrim 2k + landscape and city textures, warzones (2015), SMIM, aMidianBorn, CoT, ELFX, Flora Overhaul, and about 100 or so other mods my GTX 760 2Gb ran it at 1080p around 28-45 fps. No ENB.

Now with my R9 390x 8Gb I can push it way further with more mods and an ENB.

I had to do some work arounds to get the game to route more than 3.1 Gb of graphics memory to the card without crashes. I basically found some guys modded dlls that made it to where the game uses bigger memory blocks and I used SKSE and my ENB inis to set my memory cap at 8192mb of Vram. I now draw consistently around 3.5GB to graphics and haven't pushed above 4gb.

The noise is pretty fucking loud at 100% fan speed, It hasn't moved past 75C yet. Keep in mind that this is a monstrous card though and it if it doesn't have good cooling then it would be major sack of shit.

why go for the the 970 when it is a lesser card in most cases?

No bottlenecking yet, with skyrim or fistful of frags lol. I'm getting an i7 for productivity and design work, not just gaming because I doubt that will seriously make a difference framerate wise.

I'll give it a whirl and let you know! The vram usage I addressed in a reply above.

1 Like

Already said it. Color scheme.

You chose color over performance...? I mean its your money, I just can't relate.

Yeah. If it doesn't sell, i'll just keep it on a shelf, or build another PC with it. And it wasn't my money, it was a free upgrade from MSI, via RMA.

Well thanks for the offer. I'm not really big on multi gpu set ups anymore, but I have a friend I'm building a rig for at the moment and if that fits into his budget I'll pull the trigger via PM assuming the offer still stands in a few days or so.