Librem5 sale for 6 more days (DEAL EXPIRED)

The kill switches seem kind of pointless, what threat are they trying to control?

Apps accessing them even when you told them not to. Same as with some lenovo notebooks having physical switches for WLan.

1 Like

What apps? This is Linux built from a standard Linux platform. You just kill access on the apps themselves.

A hardware switch kills the wifi(for example) completely itā€™s not app specific. So in that scenario it would be useless as you cant kill WiFi for an app, you kill the entire phone.

1 Like

If your ultra tinfoil hat and got pwned to the point you cant tell etc you can hard disconnect the circuits so it physically cant access that stuff and will be 100% not gathering data.

Also i dont think you really have much access to the cell sim stuff (like part of it is our of the end users control)

5 Likes

I like physical airplane mode, gives me a sense of controll. To each their own, I guess.
Having the linux level of controll on mobile devices is a plus in my books.

1 Like

Itā€™s not app control though itā€™s a system wide disconnect. Which brings me back to the same question what are they trying to mitigate with that?

It doesnā€™t do anything for apps as it makes your phone inoperable, itā€™s useless for state actors, thereā€™s no one left?

Turn off your phoneā€¦

Individual hardware switches for the various wireless devices im just confused at what theyā€™re trying to do, unless itā€™s just a marketing gimmick.

then you can use any appsā€¦ idk

partial gimmick, partial point of failure

Maybe gimmick.

Hardware Kill Switches for camera, microphone, WiFi/Bluetooth, and baseband.

I think of people that tape over laptop cameras and maybe microphone, tho I donā€™t know what benefit the other buttons would have.

They donā€™t do this because of apps getting data , this is to prevent acts of corp espionage etc. gaining access to sensitive info within the environment around the device.

The cut off switches are kind of useless as they turn your phone into a brick keeping in mind there are plenty of other controls for per application control. And the switches wonā€™t work for hiding from government surveillance.

They will work for literally anything if designed properly. Software switches can be circumvented with a vulnerability; even hardware indicators can be circumvented when poorly designed:
http://jhir.library.jhu.edu/handle/1774.2/36569

You probably need a rootkit to get either of the above categories of attack to work. Arguably, if someone already has root on your device, itā€™s pretty much too late, but some of us like the certainty of a properly designed kill switch.

1 Like

Iā€™m rooting for the phone but will likely never do pre-order / indiegogo type stuff again.

They wonā€™t work because you have the phone on you, as soon as you connect to a cell tower you think they wonā€™t track you? You think they wonā€™t be following you already?

They are useless for state surveillance because if your a target of surveillance your already being followed. The only option is to do what RMS does and not carry a phone.

They will also have the convergence mode. You plug in the phone to external monitor,keyboard and mouse and you will be able to use it like full desktop PC.

That looks sweet. The fact it has RJ45 makes it cooler lol.

2 Likes

Be aware these are mostly Hypothetical Answers here and yes were into tinfoil / devils advocate territory but anyway a long reply ahead:

Some of the apps are Snap/Flatpack, most are webapps.

That doesnā€™t mean anything if the app is compromised. This could be remotely or by malicious code. What about applications installed outside of the Purism store ? (after all it is a Linux distro you can install stuff from anywhere, think arch AUR in natureā€¦) You donā€™t know until you knowā€¦Linux is not outside the scope of either thing happening at all. Not least forgetting bugs.

(*Anecdotally i had a bugā€™s on Snap packages where the Gnome software center is set to not be able to access camera, location, home drive and the button is saying this is indeed correctā€¦ i entered sudo to confirm. Guess what the button does jack :poop: access was still granted. Soft buttons donā€™t always work :wink: )

Itā€™s mildly tinfoil sureā€¦ is that always the worst thing in this day and age ? Is it unreasonable to be quietly confident as a user that when your in a space where you want 100% mobile confinement you know categorically you have it. A lot of people do this for their PC already, why not on their phone ? especially an experimental one.

Your might be looking at your use case and applying it to everyone else. Firstly, you donā€™t kill the entire phone, because wifi isnā€™t cellular itā€™s still a phone.Itā€™s still a linux distro and can do anything an offline PC can do ( although it seems to have rj45 lol, im not sure thatā€™s actually shipping on the phone.)
It doesnā€™t brick the device it creates device isolation and that is upto the owner of the phone not the manufacturer OR the person who made the OS ( google etcā€¦ )

And owners of this device may want such isolation also. In fact, remember when governments were giving out blackberries to high ranking staff because they were more secure and locked down. I could see the Librem being used for these departments just the sameā€¦ ironically they might be the ones buying a ton of them.

Already answered it does not make the phone a brick.

Yes it will in fringe cases. As said id expect governments themselves to be interested in the device so staff can go into meetings and not have to leave their devices at the door.

Also out of interest why do you always tend to think it is people wanting to hide from big brother ? What about corporate espionage (these devices will be used in business too) scammers, hackers, extortionists, other governments not of our own ? etcā€¦ Not everyone wantā€™s privacy because there afraid of the Gubberment.

Yes, yes itā€™s tinfoil we can all agree. Donā€™t buy the phone or donā€™t toggle the buttons :wink:

6 Likes

@Eden As i said aboveā€¦

Software flip switches only work when they work. Hardware flip switches work everytime. The Librem has hardware switches.

4 Likes

Every time against what threat? Iā€™m not saying there isnā€™t reasons to use them, Iā€™m saying Iā€™ve not heard any credible threats they would be useful against.

You say about circumventing software controls hard fine. But the solution is to dismantle all communication options. Thatā€™s a total disabling of all comms hardware otherwise the control is worthless.

Whoā€™s doing this? Why? Whereā€™s the threat that requires such extreme options?

I donā€™t see any credible reason your average person or anyone here would need this. Thereā€™s so few actual reasons this would be required and the few reasons something like this would be required already has a control in place. You turn your phone off.

For the sake of argument, if the switches are a gimmick, but they get X amount of tin-foil hatters to buy, and that ā€˜Xā€™ amount gets the project into the green allowing for a V2 of the phone, and this spins off like the pebble watch and becomes something I can buy whenever, for years to come, Iā€™m all for it. We need more diversity in this space and about time something other than Dex comes along.

1 Like

The video above is a credible threat to some. Anyway, It looks like you didnā€™t read my post fully.

These features are for existential threats, your asking for a list of threats that may or may not even exist in order to justify the existence of the feature.

btw

that was answered specifically in my post.

Again, answered.