LGA1155 motherboard died. What mobo to re-purpose a i5-2500k into a NAS?

Just as the title says.

My ASRock Z68 Pro-3 M motherboard just finally ate it. So, I am left with my first CPU i5-2500k and 16gb of DDR3 that I would like to re-purpose into NAS duty. Thinking this U-NAS case would be a good option for me.

My question is, what motherboard would y’all recommend?

The front runner from a little bit of my shopping is the ASUS P8P67-M PRO. It has 7 sata ports (… not sure if I should be using onboard or getting a raid card…) advise would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Would probably just sell the parts and get a newer chip for a NAS. I wouldnt worry about sata ports you can always get an HBA card to add that will be way better then onboard if you decide to gothe reuse route.

Whats your total budget?

Agreed. A Ryzen 3 1200 is probably on the same level performance wise but with less intel mitigation mess and current feature set. DDR4 is a little more expensive but overall you really wouldn’t pay much on top. If you do want to boost performance a bit, well there are options on AM4. And if you want to go ECC, you can do that too.

If the only thing the NAS will be doing is running as a file server, you don’t need as much oomph as you think.

Also, ECC would be nice.

The 2500k is more than enough for a NAS, or a web server, or both! No ECC, though, true.

I’d buy any board with 6 or more SATA ports, add a few more through PCIE slots, and/or add Ethernet/WiFi, depending on your intended usage.

And run it at lower clocks or undervolted so it’s cool/quiet/power efficient.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.