LG V35 Software Update Options

My father, does not want to get a new phone. He dreads it. He has a V35. Now it is way out dated in terms of os updates and security updates. I am looking at how to get his stuff (texts) to remain on there all the while getting him secure. I have heard of lineageOS. Back in my hay day I used to install custom roms onto my phones weekly to try them out. But I am wondering since cyanogen seems to have gone the way of the dodo, what are my options for keeping my dad’s phone secure?

2 Likes

If you change the rom completely, you’re not gonna be able to keep the messages, or anything else for that matter, unless you back them up and restore them later.
Make sure to do proper backups for anything and everything important!

3 Likes

Look into lineage os if it’s available. But realize this. Your trading off a secure bootloader for an insecure bootloader only to fix some security holes that may or may not be a threat vector to your dad.

Like I’m going to be honest this will be a fucking support nightmare. If you realize this and are up to the task go for it. Otherwise leave it stock. And focus on his other security habits as they will be more fruitful

1 Like

… Up to date OS with patches and software.

• Firewall(netguard), https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard
  • Malwarebytes.
  • Disable every unnecessary service, unnecessary applications.
  • Turn off internet if you don’t need it, turn off bt if you don’t need it.
  • Disable location/set fake location.
  • Don’t use root.
  • Change application settings to what they are allowed to access.
1 Like

I used sms backup/restore from the playstore when I migrated phones. This app saved all my message history and texts

From

Since writing that post, I switched to qksms, which has a sms backup feature I used when I transferred to my xperia

1 Like

I just decided to buy from a reputable seller of a pixel 6 pro. That phone is stacked. 12gb of ram, 120hz display, oled, 50 and 48megapixel shooter. was around 350 refurbished and 250gb model. Should be fine for him. Better than my iphone 11.