LG OLED Monitor?

My LG 43UD79 has died after a gradual decline. I never liked it that much anyway because of the fall off at the edges. So time to replace it.

Looking at the current 43” panels (Asus and acer), both are BGR subpixel layout and expensive. The 2019 LG OLED panels just received gsync support which is awesome, and also indicates some confidence from LG when it comes to burn-in (right?).

Anyway, I am ready to pull the trigger on a 55” B9, but I wanted to check here first to see if there’s some gotcha that I’ve missed. The only caveat I can see is that I will have to wait a bit for a DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter, but I am fine with that. The panel is definitely overkill for me, but at the price point, I don’t see why I would go with the acer or Asus unless there’s an advantage I’ve overlooked.

@wendell, after your experience with the Asus XG438Q, how do you feel about this idea?

Did you check the b9 burn in test on things? The competition in the 43" market is fierce. With new displays I’m not sure I’d recommend the Asus panel tbh

1 Like

Watch and decide for yourself

1 Like

Yes, but presumably, they’ve made progress since the 6-series.

I may try it and if I get a lot of image retention, I can replace the living room tv with it and maybe by then a no-compromise 43” will exist.

Burn in hasn’t been an issue on any kind of normal usage for a long time.
Just make sure that it can do the wear leveling every now and then. But even without, it’s not really an issue, see the video above. That test was way outside “normal” use cases and even there the burn-in isn’t that bad for how he’s abusing them.

If you’re connecting a PC to the LG OLEDs just make sure to use the PC label on the input, that unlocks some of the chroma options (not sure why they tie that to the label, but whatever).

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I saw something about it doing the wear-leveling thing automatically, so I’ll try to make sure that’s configured. In general, I won’t need to run it anywhere near max brightness, and I’m happy to set a screen saver with a short timer so that the menu bar and other static elements don’t burn. I’m optimistic. I should be getting some checks in before Feb, so I’ll make the order once that happens.

There’s no need to set it up, you can’t even disable it if you wanted. You just need to make sure it’s on standby, and not completely without power.

OLED panels have a brightness limiter anyway, but for me it’s hardly noticable, it’s still plenty bright (though I think it can be disabled if you want).

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.