Lg g3

So on 07/01/16 I noticed my LG G3 decided to automatically download some sort of update. Which is weird because the last time I updated this phone was about 2 months after it was released. And for about 2 years it never updated.

ANYWAY, long story short. My LG g3 crapped out on me and started doing a boot loop.
So I put the phone thru its paces. Check to see if the boot loop was isolated to a piece of "purchasable" hardware (battery, sim card, micro sd) I did not buy a new battery which is the last test.

I went to buy one, and the guy at the store told me 70 bucks, I told the guy that they sell for 16 bucks on ebay, his reply was yeah but this is the original, so I started laughing and walking out the store and said the original in still in my phone.

I also did a soft reset> hard reset> flashing, just to see if it was truly time to take ole yeller out to pasture. And it seems so... Unless someone here has any insight.

Honestly I am not really waste the time on waiting for a battery, which I would have to order on a holiday, which would add a day to its arrival, which means I would not have a phone for maybe the whole week. And who knows if that would even work.

I would honestly rather spend 100 US bucks on a cheap ass smart or flip phone than buy false hope and wait for the LG G6 to be released.

Anyone have any exp with this? H. E. double hockey sticks. Any place to buy older model phones for cheap? what phone do you use? Any HALP welcome.

just to verify have you re flashed the os via the flash tool??

yeah. not the tot method

Might as well root your phone while you're at it, if you can get it running again

I went to my cell provider and asked about what I could do in terms of warranty, they said to call support and I did. But the warranty is only for 1 year, but they did offer me a 200$ off a G5.

@drunkbydefault I am actually about to give up on that i have been trying to root it for about 3 hours and it fails every time.

Somehow it upgraded to marshmallow 6.0.

stupid apk manager. ROOTED

try using a custom rom like cyanogenmod.

i like the look of liquid smooth. i actually ran it for awhile but i forgot to flash gapps. none of the apps worked but i could navigate around and check out there set up it ran well so i decided to flash gapps and it soft bricked the phone. i read somewhere to wipe the dalvik and cache after flashing gapps. i did and after a reboot it wouldnt go into recovery or go past the first splash screen. then i bricked my pants. and support tool to the rescue back to stock.

the funny thing... is that when i was navigating thru the custom rom the phone was not plugged in to anything i was walking around my apt and it never boot looped until i decided to check what it would do after a reboot. it maybe just the battery. it maybe just the battery? it maybe just the battery!

i am so going to brick this thing again.

Why I have two LG G3s haha. Hard bricked one one time and so got used spare to not be out of service while the original had to get fixed from a guy with a jtag and skills.

Ran CM12 and liked it enough, running CM13 and swapped out some nuances for others, but overall really like CM, if not for the experience, for the feeling you get complete ownership of your device.

Try:

fastboot OEM unlock
Now download TWRP
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Download any ROM and then boot into TWRP and flash it from there

i think i might do the same, not sure if ill buy it new or slightly used. ,

@Zippy_Parmesian1 i was going to try this method but my phone is in a boot loop unless connected to the wall. so i needed to do everything from the phone...

i wish there was a method of rooting and installing twrp from download mode...

Hold down power and volume down until it boots into the recovery

i think the phone is pretty much fucked now my laptops do not read it as a storage device. and it is only saying on for about 30 seconds at a time, even on wall power.

My new/ used G3 arrived. And it is running kitkat. Charged up the battery and placed it in the one that crapped out on me and yes it was just the battery. {echos} Now I have 2 G3's and I am not to sure which to convert to a rom machine. The
marshmallow 6.0 or the kitkat 4.2.

So. what say you? marshmallow 6.0 or the kitkat 4.2?

Kitkat has a bunch of roms. roms? rom? rom's? bah. You know what I'm talking about. There are to many to list here.
Marshmallow is still kinda new and new updates for the roms that are already out are looking to be pretty steady.
if you have a G3 back when kitkat was cool or if you are still using the G3 and are using custom rom tell me your favorite, or favorites.

Bumping back from the dead

Still have two LG G3s, daily driver is CM 13, pretty stable. But anyone running Lineage OS? I loaded that into the other LG G3 and used it for a day- I like it but I haven’t figured out how to update it. The big thing for me to go Lineage is:

• security updates
  • non-root install, android pay seemed to work (setup worked, didn’t find a place to test it that day I used Lineage).

Start a new thread if you want to talk about this. Don’t just drudge them up.

Sorry, this is refreshing- I come from forums where its the opposite, “search newb” is the common theme, even excluding the cases that the topic is in some other few week old thread.

Thats fine. By all means please start new threads. Content is rather dried up here. ATM though threads keep getting dragged up from the bottom that really don’t apply anymore, or, good to be readdressed because the person bringing them back up is looking at something completely different. I’m currently trying to push for something to be developed to auto lock old threads that doesn’t exclude the OP from reopening the thread for more discussion, but that also excludes Megathreads or Info/News threads.

Anyways, thank you.

Closing as necro. @Token please feel free to make a new topic thread to revive the discussion.