LG G3 CM to Lineage

Wait, which version of the S7 is this, international, or is it found in all versions?

Right, I keep forgetting that.

International. The one that uses the Samsung Exynos CPU. The Snapdragon version sold in the US is locked down much more, so I doubt that it has that option.

I need a lineage os encrypted update guide for dummy’s, I’ve been trying and failing.

So you’ve encrypted the phone and are now trying to update it?
There’s not much of a guide to it.

• Download the new nightly on the PC
  • Connect the phone to the PC, copy the .zip file to the root of the memory card
  • Reboot the phone into recovery mode (I have the extra power button menu enabled in the developer options so I can select restart -> recovery, but you can also use the “power + home + volume UP” combination when booting from a complete shutdown)
  • enter your encryption password
  • select Install, browse to the .zip with the new nightly and swipe to flash it. That will update the OS, normally without losing your data.

@Steinwerks how’s your phone doing? Still on the stock ROM?

Haven’t done anything yet… might be a few weeks, and there are a few things on my phone that I don’t want to lose but might have to live without (a couple games mostly and some apps I use on a regular basis for work).

1 Like

Look in the Play Store for an APK extractor. Or on F-Droid if you want one that really is ad-free and trustworthy.
That will allow you to grab the apps’ original .apk files and put them somewhere on the phone or SD card. You can then copy them over to the PC and store those files there.

Once you’ve flashed the phone, you can then put those .apk files back on your SD card, open them with the file browser and let that re-install them (you will need to go to Settings -> Security -> Unknown Sources to allow the phone to sideload those “untrusted” apps first, otherwise it will give an error).
As long as you don’t need a Google account or a permanent connection to the Play Store to use them, they should work fine.

2 Likes

The only apps I recall that required a connection were the ones you got from Amazon’s Free App of the Day, when they were doing that.

1 Like

PowerAmp checks for a Google account, or at least the paid version does.
I came across another app that checked for the Play Store as well, but I forgot which one that was.

That might be the source of the issue, since encrypting the phone TWRP does not ask for a password, so when trying to flash the update it gets a corrupted error. I’m running the latest TWRP… I’ll mess around a little more.

That’s weird.

A factory reset will remove the encryption from the ROM, so that would allow you to update normally. But it will mean losing your data (unless you back it up and restore it afterwards).

I’m running twrp-3.1.1-0-herolte and that allowed me to update just fine to Lineage’s Oct 10th build. Haven’t updated since, I’ll grab the latest nightly real quick and see if it works normally.
EDIT : On second thought I’ll wait a couple of hours, the next nightly should drop any minute now.

1 Like

Uhhhg, face palm. So, LG G3 TWRP official stops at 3.0.2-0, I updated to an unofficial build (that stopped being developed and supported in January) and 1) blue color is changed to red, kind of cool 2) YES! Its now asking for the swipe (and later when I changed to pin #, it asks for the pin) BUT— face palm- still doesn’t work and the XDA forum confirms, they added some support but it didn’t go all the way- so now it at least asks for info, but can’t take it the rest of the way.

Looks like I’m backing up my SMS and wiping- I want my updates more-so than encryption… the 801 snapdragon gets it’s ass kicked by encryption anyhow.

Stuck in a loop where I go into settings, factory reset, agree- reboots into TWRP, TWRP can’t decrypt/mount storage…

** update- go into TWRP, command line, type in “recovery --wipe_data --set_filesystem_encryption=off” flash ROM and Gapps again.

1 Like