Level1techs 600-800 build not working for me,

Yes, that is a good idea. Also turn off Turbo to get saner levels of Vcore. I've found that Turbo sometimes puts very high voltage to AMD CPU:s, making them throttle like crazy. On motherboard with weak VRM:s I definitely recommend turning off Turbo.

next time, don't get a ~$50 Mobo for an FX chip. Especially one with weak VRMs. Asrock makes some decent AMD boards but I usually trust Gigabyte or ASUS or Biostar(for business machines).

It's not his fault. He followed logans "awesome" guide...

I like to think of Logan's guide as more like Guidelines not actual recommendations/rules. He did not say he HAD to get those exact parts but just showed the type of parts for the money that he could get. Market prices fluctuate after all and what was cheap then may not be cheap now.

First time users are gonna put their trust in him, and his choice in parts. They would see no reason not to. After all he has a website, and a youtube channel with hundreds of thousands of followers. It's not their fault. He shouldn't just throw parts together in pcpartpicker.com and call it a day.

This ought to end well.

It's constructive criticism.

I don't beleive that is what he did. If you notice he focused the build around the R9 290X and the FX 6300 but focused more on the 290X. That means that since the 290X was/is ~$299, he had to put parts in the build around the GPU. If the CPU was ~$100, that means that about $400 is in the parts at that point. Just the GPU and CPU. Add the HDD and the SSD, the case, the PSU and the mobo and all equal about $800. He had to cut corners somewhere. he probably (from appearances) chose the cheapest board from a relatively reputable AMD OEM partner that still supported the FX 6300 and fit within the budget. Fudge on the PSU and all kinds of stuff goes wrong (house fire for example). Fudge on the motherboard and overclocking is unlikely. HDDs and SSDs are hit and miss in terms of reliability and defects. shit happens. he just put out there what could go into a build for 6-800 dollars and not what HAD to go into it. Besides, what consumer buys an expensive product without first reading the reviews? Sure, Logan has a website and so on, but what consumer with a sense of money management buys something based on one person's opinion. Just saying. Don't blame Logan for picking cheaper parts and not putting a disclaimer in that he is not actually recommending or requiring those parts for that build. It is completely on the consumer to look at user reviews especially on sites like newegg where there are usually plenty of reviews and ratings for the products. A casual look at the reviews for the board show that there is a 26% 1 egg rating on the board. Yes, there is a 44% 5 egg rating but I steer clear of products that have a large 1 egg rating.

have you overclocked your cpu because that might be an issue with that mobo.

On one of his build guides he expressly states that these are just general guidelines and that he doesn't like giving parts lists for people to drone over. I guess he needs that disclaimer on all of them if he hasn't done that already.

Dumb question. Did you update your BIOS and drivers? Did you correctly apply thermal paste? Can you plug your PSU into a different computer MOBO to see if that posts?

I think your PSU isn't beefy enough. I think you need a 650w at bare minimum. 650-750w for single gpu. That's an OC'd card and I assume you OC'd your CPU.

I have to agree with a few others on a few post. namely the power supply being that it is a bronze 600w and with only that cpu and gpu calculated it's running at 500w draw add in the hard drive, the fans. its at its limit

also with that much power being drawn the vrm as others have said is probably being toasted/overheating.

Sources:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290-and-290x,3728-4.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1836166/6300-power-consumption.html

I toasted a machine when I was new to PC building by not securing the power connectors in properly, its quite easy to short things out on PC's

That motherboard seems to be a bit low quality IMO. As for PSU I think you are getting too close to that 600w for it to be good for the system. If I were you I would have gotten a 750-850w PSU and a better mobo. Those parts deal with the power delivery to components and must never be cheaped out on. At the same time don't go buy a $200 PSU and a $300 mobo unless you are doing something crazy.

So I think the problem is fixed. I set the NB voltage to 1.4 volts in the BIOS and it hasn't restarted yet and has been a lot more stable. Any ideas?

In case you haven't fixed it yet.. my first thought outside what has been suggested is RAM. If you are using Chrome for browsing, that uses a lot of RAM, obviously not as much as gaming... but if you have a bad sector on a stick, it could be enough to shut the PC down.

What I do then, is try 1 stick, see if it crashes.. if so, try another stick on it's own, see if it crashes.. if so.. it most likely isn't RAM. If it doesn't crash ever.. probably a bad stick of RAM.

Easiest way to find a faulty component is to rule things out one at a time.

Good luck!

Hey. This problem hasn't been fully fixed (It's tolerable but I would like it to be perfect). Setting the NB voltage to 1.4 makes it more stable (less restarts within a period of time) and I get Event ID 20 in the Windows Event viewer when it does restart.

I've tried testing each ram module and it doesn't seem like they are the culprit.

That mb doesnt even support oc'ing phenom 940's why would you stick a 6300 in that and expect it to work well? Here is the product page. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157366 Makes me wanna rant.

I still would try to return and purchase a better motherboard if possible.

I have no idea why Logan recommended such a low quality motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130790 Should fix you up.