Level1Tech KVM not working with CamLink 4k

Does anyone else have a Level1Tech KVM with a CamLink 4k plugged into it? For the life of me, I cannot get the CamLink to function properly. I’ve checked that it’s plugged into one of the USB 3.0 ports, but I’m always presented with a black screen when I try to use it. Plugging the CamLink directly into my computer works, so something about the KVM is preventing it from working properly.

Which kvm? What all do you have plugged in?

I have the 5 gigabit version of the Dual Monitor Level1Tech KVM.

I have a Logitech mouse plugged into the HID, a USB 3.0 hub plugged into the front USB port with a Scarlet 2i2 and Keyboard plugged into the hub, then the CamLink 4K plugged into the back USB 3.0 port.

maybe power issue try with just the camlink plugged into the 3.0 port (if it is power you can just get a powered hub)

2 Likes

Unfortunately it is just plugged into the 3.0 port directly. The hub only has a keyboard and the Scarlett 2i2 plugged into it.

RGB keyboard? Scarlett 2i2 XLR mic with phantom power? could be decent draw for the low power the kvm has. I would unplug the Scarlett 2i2 to test at the very least.

2 Likes

Ahh yeah good point. Let me do a bit more testing. I assumed this setup would be fine as I previously had everything running through an unpowered USB hub and basically switched the cables to the KVM, but it’s possible the combination of all USB devices is drawing more power than the KVM can provide.

I’m not sure which component was the big power draw, but after switching all my peripherals to a powered USB 3.0 hub plugged into the USB 3.0 port, everything seems to be working. Thanks @mutation666 for the debugging help!

2 Likes