Level1SpaceTechs (astronomy)

Was checking old zoomin picture from Andromeda and remembered these analog tv’s, and wonder how many or if all of these are actually stars, because its like b&w version from Andromeda zoomin :thinking:

1 Like

Nov 11th
The next one won’t occur until Nov. 13, 2032

Sorry Australia…no transit for you

1 Like

Here is a cool view of the Mercury Transition.
https://mercurytransit.gsfc.nasa.gov/display.php?year=2019&phase=WholeSun&dataset=Mercury19_HMI_I&title=HMI%20I

3 Likes

This is cool. I think they should of called the probe “Marshmallow” though. I bet it is toasty and browned, lol.

2 Likes

Time to resurrect the thread

1 Like

This made me smarter.

Very interesting

TZOs that is

Thank you for sharing this great lecture; now I know what to do with myself this evening. I thought about a way to enhance my knowledge of the stars and finally found it, it’s cool.

SN11 static fire could be today. I’ve been watching too much LabPadre.

Successful static fire, but a few thermal tiles were sacrificed:

I recently made a YouTube reply comment in response to someone claiming that the dark side of the moon would need non-solar energy sources. Could someone fact-check me on this?

It seems like long-term power on the moon would be an interesting subject regardless, but here is the reply comment I made:

@Michael Maxie I do not think it would; the dark side of the moon sees just as much sunlight, only at different times; simply plan your landings around the new moon, rather than a full moon, no?
I assume this is why long term polar presence is preferred, in theory there is a point where panels built straight up could rotate with the sun during the course of a month. Of course, if the moon “wobbles” relative to the sun too much, that point could be constantly moving around.
Assuming I am understanding this correctly,
The moon effectively has month-long “years” and no “days” at all. Even if you want to live long term on the lunar equator, you need ½ a month of energy storage, and enough solar panels to recharge in the ½ month you do see the sun.

I do not know if this really fits here, under astronomy, it does seem like something that could be an interesting discussion, but not really deserving a separate thread, so here I am.

That’s what I’ve heard also. The dark side of the moon is “dark” with respect to radio waves from earth, but not light from the sun. Astronomers call it the “far side”, and some have held a grudge against Pink Floyd for decades because of it.

1 Like

As the Pink Floyd lyric goes, it’s all dark really, the colour of coal or asphalt. And the near side has almost all of the “maria”, with darker volcanic rock, so the far side is lighter.

guys, highly recommend you to watch this video! So thrilling

1 Like

New space just dropped

https://www.nasa.gov/webbfirstimages

2 Likes

Something else isn’t it. Will be good to see the science that’s comes out of the instruments. And the nice pictures

3 Likes

Indeed! If we could only spend a little less on bombing each other we might have had more of these nice toys in space