Level1SpaceTechs (astronomy)

2 Likes

I wonder what this says about the Kuiper Belt

2 Likes

Sunlight further irradiates those leftovers into reddish material – called tholins – that has slowly accumulated on Charon’s poles over millions of years.

informal name given to a wide variety of organic compounds formed by solar ultraviolet irradiation or cosmic rays from simple carbon-containing compounds

Maybe they are getting colorme’d from outside :man_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

In @anotherriddle’s words…

FASCINATING…!

I wanna be somewhere off earth already… put me knee deep like this cap in ice and snow at the northern hemisphere haha

(In theory you could terrafarm mars by detonating a fusion nuke that had enough energy haha… Melt the ice pack… flood the atmosphere haha idk I wonder what would happen… Lets start some ideas below

2 Likes

Super Blood Wolf moon and lunar eclipse coming up with in the hour kids.
I am excite :smiley:
2 cameras going

2 Likes

I’ve been popping me head outside to watch. Too cold for me to hang out though. Looking forward to some pics :slight_smile:

1 Like

Got some pretty terrible pictures of the eclipse. Mighty cold here in Wisconsin, but no clouds. Used a junk Nikon Coolpix L820.

2 Likes

here is a couple

4 Likes
1 Like

Neat

3 Likes

Neat

Also this is the first time I’m seeing side by side moon looking different, that blip is helping to understand that

I tried to after effects do moon as I see it, and although it teached me it did end up looking different, and next time would have to search pictures from my country

3 Likes

RIP Opportunity. You survived 8-9 years longer than Spirit. Remember that this was supposed to only be a 3 month mission, extended to 15 years.

3 Likes
1 Like

Crew Dragon approaching space station, stream cap from inside space station through window

Judging from Dragon RGB christmas lights being correct, umm… why havent I seen these stars like that before?

4 Likes

Those are dead pixels on the CMOS sensor. As cosmic rays hit the silicon, (and being that high up increases exposure to cosmic ray particles) because they travel so fast, it kills a part of the silicon. Think of it like pointing a scan laser at a CMOS sensor, but cosmic rays are smaller and more precise at killing smaller areas of the CMOS sensor rather than overload large portions of it like a scan laser does.

Now imagine cosmic rays able to hit the gates precisely enough to kill specific pixels and you have an idea of how dead pixels on a bayer pattern sensor or a 3CMOS system can lead to only certain chroma channels having no data for that dead pixel. And it’s only going to get worse as lithography gets smaller.

A Radeon VII I guarantee you won’t last a week in space radiation.

2 Likes

Found video from that stream, timestamped to same spot

2 Likes

First thing I will say judging by the thumbnail… That UI and interface WILL be in KSP soon through the work of the modding community. Even Scott Manley said himself this is eventually going to happen.

2 Likes

I find it really amazing how much eyes these have to track tiny tiny saiyan pod, ofc first from earth, then directly from above, and tilted downwards from above, and finally that approach from space station

1 Like

Prediction from the late 1970’s or early 80’s from Mel Brooks

Sample return, for safety reasons the first deep space sample will be opened in South Jersey

Did any space junkies ever get Vangelis’ Rosetta?