Level1SpaceTechs (astronomy)

The Hexagon from Cassini

2 Likes

far side of the moon

they removed all the alien stuff of course ;)

2 Likes

Sunrise on Alpha Centauri

the system has a gas giant?

Didn't see anyone on reddit state otherwise ¯\(ツ)

This is a bit of a puff piece but I thought it was interesting.

1 Like

Space Engine?

Not sure, saw it on reddit and thought it was cool.

If your rushing to get into a black hole there can be a parking jam and spinning around a black hole really fast as you get closer can make a lot of noise. I wish me ex went to a black hole sale :(

Ok RT rides the hype train somewhat. Still a very interesting find. A double ringed HOAG object, An ultra rare galaxy type in it's own right.
Also highlights the importance of ground based observatories. Hubble is not the be all and end all of astronomical discovery. Interview with discoverer of Burcin's Galaxy

Iconic photo of Hoag object is somewhere on this thread up that-a-way:)
1 Like

i hope that someday human history will last long enough for the records to show that the milky way and andromeda were separate galaxies once.

An alien's probably taken a photo like this from another galaxy, so we're good.

1 Like

hehe exactly what prompted my thinking

I know rite the Milky way and Andromeda galaxy's are on a crash course and it will be mostly uneventful stars and planets hit empty space.

well while true, it will def not be uneventful, the compression of gasses will kickstart massive star formation

http://earthsky.org/space/ulirgs-hotbeds-of-star-formation-as-galaxies-collide

1 Like

I much prefer, "dark side," makes it sound so much more ominous, mysterious, and alluring at the same time. Where's the giant crater that's supposed to be in the middle?

@Thinking_Emoji
I love artist's astronomical impressions. ^_^ Beautiful!

Hope we get some cool things going.... getting left behind

Mimas, Moon of Saturn

Mimas is an icy, crater-pocked moon of Saturn a mere 400 kilometers (250 miles) in diameter. Its largest crater Herschel is nearly 140 kilometers wide. About a third the diameter of Mimas itself, Herschel crater gives the small moon an ominous appearance, especially for scifi fans of the Death Star battlestation of Star Wars fame. In fact, only a slightly bigger impact than the one that created such a large crater on a small moon could have destroyed Mimas entirely. In this Cassini image from October 2016, the anti-Saturn hemisphere of the synchronously rotating moon is bathed in sunlight, its large crater near the right limb. Casting a long shadow across the crater floor, Herschel's central mountain peak is nearly as tall as Mount Everest on planet Earth.

1 Like

OK, I've had my fun. Here's a view of Mimas with the crater to the side.

wow, it really flattens out the moon's curve.

1 Like