Level1 Visits Linus Tech Tips: The Start of Gaming on Linux (Vloggish) | Level One Techs

Linus' video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsgI1mkx6iw&feature=youtu.be

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/level1-visits-linus-tech-tips-start-gaming-linux-vloggish

I really wish I could still contribute to the knowledge base for this, but I’m just going to get ignored.

Remember, I’m in Vancouver too, Wendell.

What’s stopping you?

Neat. I was there for a few days for this video. I’m long since returned to home base, though.

I have to test UVC USB 3.0 devices in both passthrough and with third party USB 3.0 controllers in Linux. I just had to get a Renesas uPD720202 controller just to prepare myself for that. To be fully impartial, I’ll be getting an Avermedia ExtremeCap UVC (BU110) and an Epiphan AVio 4K and testing compatibility with both, because I talked with Epiphan directly and they don’t do USB controller testing. I know I’m not getting those things for free so it’s all out of pocket while I’m really broke.

In my testing of UVC USB 2.0 devices, third party USB 3.0 controllers without a supplementary 5V power from the PSU will not put the device into USB suspend correctly, due to Linux’s flawed XHCI implementation.

I’m in British Columbia as well. But further outside of Vancouver.

I am a “casual” Linux user, and have been for well over a decade. But I would never put myself in the hard core techie level. Maybe a few notches lower. But I have had quite a bit of experience trying to get everything I can to run under Linux, wine and other compatibility layers. But I have not got into looking glass yet.

I’ve done what I could in the past to try and get people on Linux. I have done my fair share in contributions on the technical support in various message boards and so forth. But there are still things beyond my grasp on GNU/ Linux.

I think it is great that Wendell is working with Linus in some upcoming videos to help promote the Linux desktop. I honestly think the Linux desktop experience has become more streamlined over the last few years. The dependency issues have sorted themselves out somewhat with Flat Pak, Snap Packs, and App images. We’re starting to see more lower tier applications support Linux on a regular basis. Gaming has improved by a great deal. There is much more of a push on Linux to get better driver support across the boards, now that there is more of a need for better video performance.

I have an old netbook somewhere with Lubuntu 16.02 (two years old) and I installed a few flat paks on it for Skype, Firefox and Discord and it was nice not to have to upgrade the distro just to get the latest dependencies for the newest versions of those applications.

But it still isn’t as brain dead easy as Windows, if you want to run just about anything with little in the way of jumping through hoops. The hoop part is still an issue with Linux. But the hoops are getting bigger and easier to cross through. I still recommend Windows 10 for anyone that just wants as little fuss as possible (yeah I know the windows 10 issues, but still). But I think most Linux distros are are serviceable for casual PC use and if you don’t want to get into something too specific on a technical side.

And as for The Witcher 2. The port was never completely native to begin with. It uses a partial port with lots of direct x shedder draw calls. Yeah, the performance was terrible, and there was a bit of an over-reactive level of toxicity from the Linux community at the time. But performance did get better with many updates. But I agree, that it is probably the reason why CD Poject Red hasn’t tried to port the Witcher III to LInux. Not just because of the issues they had with performance, but also the somewhat toxic reaction.

It’s a shame. I would love to see Witcher III and Cyberpunk get Linux releases. But that seems wishful thinking at the moment. CRPR has done a good job supporting Linux though with GOG. I believe they have close to 1000 listings for Linux compatible games and software (the number is inflated because of DLC’s and such). While Windows has 2500+ listings. OSx has something like 1200-1300 Max compatible products. Considering how short of a period GOG has supported Linux for in comparison to Windows and OSx, their Linux library is growing.

A lot of that is indie related too.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Question about passthru