Level1 Techs Folding@Home Team

yeah I uninstalled and reinstalled and CPU is working great

1 Like

I'm running the client on my gaming rig again, adding around 700Kppd for a while. Hawaii is getting long in the tooth, dat power consumption.

Edit: Well that was short-lived. Draws too much power.

for anyone using NVIDIA update your drivers, 376.33 was causing issues on my 1050ti

well I did some digging and turns out the less cores you have running the more chance you'll get a WU
so I split up my 32 thread CPU into one 6 thread WU, 8 thread WU and one 16 thread WU

3 Likes

I've been experimenting a bit with my folding comp.

Currently:

• Intel I5 3470S Running two cores
  • Hawaii Pro (290)
  • Pitcairn Pro (7850)

Installed latest dev preview of Win10 Pro, 15002. Latest Radeon driver 17.1.1.

I get acceptable perf on it, like about 400Kppd. I will let it run for some more and look at the 24 h average. But also a pretty hefty power-draw, around 380 Watts from the wall. I didn't think the 7850 would do much, but is seems it does just fine. Hawaii card is overclocked to about 1100 MHz, modified vbios too, never throttles thanks to liquid cooling (Swiftech). Both cards are Sapphire and have been really solid. The 290 I bought out of a bargain bin three years ago now, the 7850 I found in a dumpster (!) last year.

Snapped off a couple of photos:

Pay no attention to my sloppy hose-job, it is the part I use for experimenting anyway :)

5 Likes

Nice, that's pretty cool. I'm still under that 150Kppd (Around 130 probably) with my setup. I just realized though, I'm not sure how much my CPU is doing.

Will each core show up in Folding Slots? Right now I only show 2 slots, 1 CPU and 1 GPU.

Your cpu will show as one slot unless you give each core a wu

Doh, accidentally just removed the GPU slot. It was pretty close to being finished with a 10hr run lol. :(

Ffs lol.

I like to let a WU finish before i fiddle with stuff.

For anyone having trouble with FAH on Linux, make sure you have the latest NVidia drivers (so have had the most luck downloading them from NVidia and using their installer as opposed to pulling the package from AUR. Make sure you have the NVidia OpenCL drivers for your distro as well.

I saw someone inquired about FAHControl. I use this all of the time. I use it to pause FAH when I want to do something on my main rig. I leave it open all of the time. Quite handy.

1 Like

Just curious, what kind of PPD are you seeing from your CPU?

No clue
2x e5-2680
I have one GPU so that takes one thread away making it uneven
So I made a 6, 8 and 16 thread one because 30 thread doesn't hardly get any WU and it has to be even because it scales better on the program level so you don't get Wu very often for odd core counts
And one thread is free so I guess that one does all of the thread managment

Interesting. Although GPUs seem to dominate, I have been curious how a large core count CPU machine would perform. Thanks for the info. Does @Wendell have his blade center folding? I'd be curious to see how it performs.

Anyone running F@H on Linux Mint 18 or 18.1?
I got tired of having to run my spare rig in Windows so I installed Mint 18.1 (it was running 17.3 in dual-boot before, but I replaced the SSDs last night so I had a blank canvas) and tried to get F@H to work.

What do I need to get my GPU to fold?
I've switched from the Nouveau driver to the Nvidia 367.57 driver that is recommended by Driver Manager, but the PC was still folding on the CPU only.
So I tried to install openCL by typing

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current-updates nvidia-opencl-dev

in the terminal, to no avail.

EDIT : nevermind, apparently I had to manually add the GPU slot. Probably because F@H was installed and running before I properly configured the drivers and OpenCL

Team rank 266 holy shit.

Yup, we're slowly getting there.

1 Like

We have several people now pulling around 400Kppd and over :-)

You and Bourbon seem to be doing 750K and over.

So I have my secondary rig properly folding under Linux now. GPU is folding, CPU has no slots at all.
The GPU is constantly using 100% from 1 CPU core and apparently it's switching between cores several times per minute to level out the temperature. Pretty neat, never noticed that in Windows TBH. Gonna have to check it out on my other rig.

I only do the really high numbers when I fold on my gaming rig. Can't really do that 24/7 though as it pulls a insane amount of power thanks to the GPU's being old Hawaii and the motherboard being X79.

Been planning to redo the plumbing in my folding rig as it is atrocious, but also to run Linux on ti as there is a driver for GCN 1.0 (16.60) so now it should work. Never got folding to work with the free AMD driver, but I really don't know if it possible somehow.

Yeah that core switching is a cool feature. I used to leave 1 free to swap around. Haven't folded in a while now though.

Winter is slowly approaching here. I'll fire up the beast once I need to heat the house again.

1 Like