Level1 Techs Folding@Home Team

Yeah I keep getting fed an old page....

HA, LETS KICK EVGA'S ASS.

EVERYONE BUY 480'S!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

This has me thinking about building a low power folding rig. I should be able to make something on the cheap. I already have a case and PSU from my old NAS build. Time to price hardware!

1 Like

Folding to keep my feet warm while playing osu!.

3 Likes

Here are some statistics -
currently we are making about 7m ppd.

We are currently on 57 place for monthly contribution, but by our daily score which we maxed from a few days ( at 7m ppd ) we should actually be between 25th and 30th place.
In monthly score we are better than ( I am gonna list only the more known names ) -
PCper
AMD Zone
Ireland
Arch Linux
NCIX.com Forum Folding Team
Google
Ukraine

And we are just after those teams ( the closest 5 teams with more points )
56 - Team MacOS X - ~0.4m points ahead
55 - BadBirdies - ~1.6m points ahead
54 - Team BoardGameGeek - ~2.4m points ahead
53 - Atheists, Skeptics, & Humanists - ASH Folding - ~3.1m points ahead
52 - MozillaZine - ~5.8m points ahead

In the total points ranking we are currently 1008.

to hit the points of the last of top 100 we will need about 200 days of folding. ( the team at place 100 is not really active ).

3 Likes

Are the data being crunched from these simulations still relevant to science or is this just a leaderboards obsession gamers do? If it's the former, I'll gadly do it, but it's the latter then I'm not interested in wasting all that power.

Last I checked the data is indeed used for research.

I assume that they did indeed put in leaderboards because gamers tend to be competitive by nature. It's a good way to get gamers to turn on F@H more often or to persuade them to dedicate a secondary machine to it too.

Also : https://www.quora.com/Has-Stanfords-Folding-Home-project-been-a-success-or-failure
Over 125 scientific papers, changes in the drugs that are being tested, etc. All because of data provided by F@H so it's definitely helping.

1 Like

Does anyone know why we have a difference in the score/points totals? I have been showing a score of 3000 for about a week on the team ranking. When I click on my user name it shows I have a score of over 35,000. I checked a few other members they all seem a little off. Anyone know why?

Try this team page, mr_kite. The other one is seriously outdated indeed. This one shows you with the full 35K

https://folding.stanford.edu/stats/team/232084

EDIT : @COGlory perhaps update the OP with the new team stats link?

2 Likes

FYI. After doing a lot of research, it seems the 1050ti drivers / FAHCore program does not yet support this card. Once it does, I will have a mostly dedicated rig to use for this purpose. For now, let's see how my terrible old gtx570 does!

Experimenting with it a 1050ti now. Seems to be working in Win10. I have not been able to get it to work in Linux. Tried Arch, Mint, and Ubuntu. The drivers are a bit behind in Linux though.

Yeah, I'll stick that one up there. It just doesn't show the team ranking unfortunately.

1 Like

Thanks for the help I was just getting confused. Didn't want our team losing out on points.

1 Like

under 20 shares and into top 20. thank you r9 290

Am I reading this right? Forgive me, I'm brand new to Folding, but am I in the top 30 running nothing but a Skull Canyon NUC?

Edit:
Also, with regards to a full time Folding rig running multiple GPUs, would folding require a full x8 or x16 lanes on every card to be effective, or is it like Crypto mining, only needing an x1 lane?

Yup, you're in the top 30. Some are folding with phones, others only very occasionally, others switched team already or quit folding so their score doesn't increase anymore etc.

I highly doubt that a graphics card would need many lanes for folding. To my knowledge Pascal cards don't even max out PCIe 3.0 x8 while gaming, But I could be wrong, of course.

I found folding because I was looking for something to do with some underutilized servers. I really was looking for something to increase the load on them to make them produce heat. I seen that a company called Nerdalize was putting cloud servers in peoples houses. Those people then got free heat in return. When idle they could run useless calculations to increase heat output if the work load wasn't great enough to produce heat. So... i figured why not do the same thing to heat my office. I would rather use the electricity to do something useful and get heat as a side effect.

Just got my Fury in, I'll start folding when I get home from work.

So we're now in the top 700 teams, which happened pretty quickly! Thank you to everyone who is contributing!

1 Like

I managed to get my linux rig to fold on the GPU, used the latest beta client and installed the amdgpu pro drivers. I haven't tried the free driver with the beta client, would be great if it worked.

Just started folding. work client ETA in 2 hours 15 minutes.

1 Like