Level1 Techs Folding@Home Team

So I started testing. The test rig is running a 3570k and a GTX750ti. I am getting about 71000PPD from the GPU with no CPU cores folding, and all four cores enabled in UEFI. I rebooted the machine and disabled all but one core. PPD on the GPU dropped to about 70400. I imagine this is well within the margin of error for normal fluctuations.

I would conclude that even running on a single CPU core is not enough to bottleneck a 750ti in FAH.

I will slap the GTX 980 in it and do the same thing. I'll post when I have the results.

UPDATE: Results for the GTX 980 are basically the same as for the 750ti. Any difference in PPD seems to be normal fluctuation.

4 Likes

Haven't gotten around to doing my own testing, life got in the way.

They're delivering my new desk on Wednesday and with a new desk comes a complete rethink of my setup, which will involve some new cables because some stuff is going to have to move.
Currently all the electrics are hidden in the bottom of the massive wooden drawers that hold up the top, so I need to tear it all down first before I can remove the old desk to make room for the new one.

Unless I find a way to let the PCs fold in a corner of the room somewhere, I won't be doing much folding this week.
All I'll have at my disposal is my laptop (which I normally only use for work), so I don't think I'll be around here often either.

1 Like

I first saw the folding @ home thing years ago being set up on clusters and i never had the time to mess with it or the extra hardware to put to use for it. well now ive got a dormant t710 with dual e5645's that i thought would be perfect. its my virt server that i use for sandboxing and has a single web host on there so i spun up a box and gave it the remaining resources. whats a decent ppd to be seen? i dont know whats technically high>low.. lol

My 3930k pulled about 30k, while each of my 280xs do 150k
Folding is great for when you dont feel like turning on the heat

i guess i have to play with it then. i gave it 12 cores which is essentially one of the processors, but its estimating 20k. might be some foul play with it being a virtual machine and not direct access to the chip. ill play with the vm config later see if i can squeeze more out of if. but from what i can see is its utilizing every core that Xen is giving it.

Make sure you get your ID number. That has a huge influence on PPD.

1 Like

wow.. yup jumped to 80k lol thanks.. it keeps going up...

1 Like

Very nice. I've been curious how well a high core count folding rig would perform. Keep us posted!

Cpu folding is ok but it gets crushed by even an older gpu

its true i gave it 90 percent of the systems resources and its just hitting 110k. if i were to through a gpu into the mix it'd skyrocket but still 110k from a old system that's laying dormant most of the time isn't bad. honestly if i have some free time ill play with throwing a gpu in there solely because XEN's gpu transparency is horrible and i'd like to play with it to see how well it works.
on a side note.. holy crap fahcontrol hates ubuntu 16.04 or newer or visa versa,for that matter. took me a better part of a hour figuring out that it needed to be moved to the newer python directory. finally got it all set up and working for remote access to the server and then my machine updated this morning and decided it didn't like it so it just deleted the program..
Edit: not as mad now didnt have to reconfigure everything again, just re-downloaded and dpkg'ed..

1 Like

sorry im all over ther place with this, haha. just made some crutial changes in XEN's cpu settings on the VM and it made a massive difference. 20 cores folding 734k ppd. server is pulling around 350watts

2 Likes

Wow. I would not have imagined, even with that many cores, a CPU only rig would perform that well. Incredible.

1 Like

i think your right. i'm now noticing the ppd estimates fluctuating. ill be able to see a baseline in a few days any point i check it, it's between 700k-400k so who knows.

Started doing this again. I like to do canccer specific stuff because I lost my uncle to it and almost my grandfather. That and the anniversary of kitty0706's death came around again.

I'm kinda hoping to get some of the big stuff going that I have for fah. Sparc machines and all that. Soon I'll probably get a new gpu for my gamer so my mac pro could handle fah. Kinda excited for it :333

1 Like

So have most dropped off on this? I got out of the habit awhile back, but am trying to get back into kicking it off whenever I'm not actively on my currently up desktop.

My rebuilding the folding rig stalled and now that it's heating up here in Ca i may not be folding all that much anyways.

I had to stop for almost a week due to setting up my new desk etc (lots of cable management), but apart from that I'm still folding. I'll slow down as the temperature rises, but thankfully the summers here aren't long.

1 Like

I didnt know it was a thing until now. Set it up on my machine but it looks like im having funky 1070 driver issues.

Edit: Nevermind its running balls to the wall 2075mhz core clock 3921 mhz memory clock.

Be sure to get your password, increase ppd greatly or so i hear, got mine right away.

2 Likes

I don't actively run fah anymore because I don't like to let my PC run 24/7 and I'm mostly switching distro and machines and such but I have it installed on other peoples machines so currently I'm in place 59 & 96 :D

2 Likes