Level1 News March 27 2019: One Gaming Service To Rule Them All (And In The EULA Bind Them) | Level One Techs

https://www.one-tab.com/page/QpfjjbWwRUC3JJDCaPR3kA

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/level1-news-march-27-2019-one-gaming-service-rule-them-all-and-eula-bind-them
1 Like

There seems to be a lack of tin foil hat dealing with the cloud gaming articles…

They will suck you in via having the game run on a server in the same rack. And the plebs at home will never have a chance

1 Like

So I was listening to the end of the episode on my drive to work and the part about cutting open Zuckerberg had me laughing so hard

if you look in the Stadia thread there is some discussion. I just don’t think people have thought it through to it’s logical conclusion.

Several big youtubers were all praise with little to no criticism just staring at the screen like a blank cheque.

2 Likes

Google: Review stadia for us and we’ll give you six figures

Youtuber: Alright boss.

They can use that money to buy google fiber and get preferential performance. Welcome to the new gaming elite.

j/k

1 Like

This women had like a million or so subs, I think, and got payed like 2.5 million USD a year. Imagine what the other youtube elite make.

Lulz. I had 18Mbps and I still dominated at Battlefield and Call of Duty.

Calm down.

Also, single player games are a thing.

Something these conspiracy theories always lack is Google would be punishing people that don’t have the option to get Google fiber. That doesn’t make any sense. If Google fiber isn’t available in Alpine, New Jersey, why would Google get pissed, lash out, and throttle them?

it was a tinfoil joke.

edited it as such.

Not necessary, I wasn’t scolding. Hence my “lulz”. Never in the history of the world has telling someone to calm down worked :wink:

it does with me. i walk away, make myself a mild camomile tea and ‘genuflect’ on the suffering of my fellow forum members.

2 Likes

Irrelevant. Streaming a Videostream of a game is completely different than current online multiplayer, which isn’t at all bandwith dependent. Both need low latency though.

You’ve not played multiplayer with shit internet, I see.

Aren’t the Nvidia Shield and Steamcast wildly successful?

“Shit Internet” can come in several forms. Your Bandwith is not, what make Multiplayer Bad. Latency is.

Nvidia Shield more as a HTPC/Android TV. And i wouldn’t call Steamcast “wildly successfull”. At least not for gaming. And that’s over LAN… I’ve tested it. It works, but the experience is mediocre at best.

Im wondering if wendell could do a topic on networking and the differences in terminology to clear up any confusion around these ideas.

Regardless, I think the same conclusion can be made: If you don’t have access to Google fiber, you can have a great time playing these games.

Can be said about the entire streaming industry.

isn’t that a contradiction ? Not busting your chops here.

Hardly, my favorite games are shit in the graphics department.

Or are you referring to the networking being an issue or not? Unless you’re a pro level gamer or obsess about frames, missing out because of your network isn’t a deal breaker, imo.

There are games you can stream right now on Steam and the experience has been good for me.

I say all this as someone that is still going to play a handful of games on PC and PS4 :man_shrugging: Doubt I’ll ever subscribe to stream games.