Level1 News March 27 2018: #DeleteLevel1Techs | Level One Techs

On this topic, closer to home it is reported that the South Australian Liberal party had used similar software used by US Conservatives. For anyone interested in this from Aussie point of view would find this interesting.

Honestly what is the point of these “giveaways” though?

1. They’re annoying and patronizing for regulars.
  2. The odds of winning when you sell your soul to get all the entries is so arbitrarily small that smart people don’t enter.
  3. The influx of “new people” are not really engaged. It may pad the numbers temporarily, but won’t the algorithms frown upon a channel that is only getting 1/10th of it’s subscribers to view it’s videos? Doesn’t that hurt things in the long run?
  1. How is giving stuff away patronizing and annoying for regulars exactly? We haven’t done any dedicated videos for the giveaway. We did a live stream with TechDeals where we talked about all kinds of stuff. We plugged it at the start of the news which might be annoying I guess? But as of now we don’t have preroll ads…
  2. So never have any type of giveaway under any circumstances?
  3. There are some people that are not engaged and just want free stuff, sure, but If you ARE engaged with TechDeals, TechYesCity, HardwareUnboxed or any of the other awesome channels we’ve worked with before, chances are you will enjoy our content too if we weren’t already on your radar. And that’s been our experience… we’ll add 5 or 6k subs immediately, then lose two or three after the contest.
    I can tell you that youtube does essentially zero to promote a channel as small as ours. It really is up to the community. Tweeting about it (or not) can drive a lot of engagement, too. And we’ve added a lot of new user accounts here with those promotions.

Can you suggest another easy to do cross-channel promotion that will motivate people to be involved? We are kicking off a community challenge based on earlier community feedback and the giveaway for the community will likely be a Z170 or Z270 motherboard. That’ll just be here on the forums so perhaps that addresses some of your criticism. The idea with this giveaway is to drive more forum participation and we are hoping we get more quality content like how-tos, cool project writeups, etc. One thing we haven’t figured out is how to prevent people from recycling a past old project of theirs that may be cool as heck (looking at you Braysive with all your crazy mod stuff :stuck_out_tongue: not that you’d try to pull one over on us but holy crap those mods are cool).

We’ve done some under-the-radar promos where we help out other channels/people with hardware and resources to help get stuff done… e.g. gnifs stuff, linux gamer, and other stuff I can’t talk about yet :stuck_out_tongue: . I say all this to be sure that you’re not characterizing our efforts as putting all our points into ‘rando internet contests’ when we are trying to spread things around as much as possible…

But if you or anyone else have actionable suggestions we’re all ears…

1 Like

New hoodies and mugs!? Stop teasing me and just put some more stickers up please.

What giveaway? We are having a giveaway?

Never mind. Found it.

You should give away the boiler snake, that’ll bring in brazillions of subscribers.

Just spit balling here… (cross channel ideas)

• Build offs
    • (not necessarily big expensive rigs)
    • Special purpose machines
    • Either artificial constraints for challenges
      • Budget
      • Power usage
      • Fanless
      • Tight space
      • Vibration / dust env.
      • Waterproof / Dust proof
      • Quiet
    • Compete to satisfy a user’s request for a solution. User picks the winner who created best solution.
      • User Bob wants media machine for streaming movies locally that runs under 40watt and no fan.
      • User Jill wants computer to put behind touch screen in car.
      • User Steve wants to check internet from their boat and it needs to be 12V powered and waterproof.
      • User Susan wants 2-3 public touch screens around her home to act as jukebox request screen during parties.
      • User Dan wants to hide a terminal in the woods and keep it alive on a car battery and solar panel.
      • …I could go on and on with exotic creative ideas like this…
  • Dumpster dives / Re-purpose Contests
    • What creative ways can you use this old ___?
    • Will linux boot on that?
    • Will it cluster?
    • Will it run _____ ?
1 Like