Level1 News March 23 2018: Freshly Squeezed Bitcoins | Level One Techs

Giveaway: https://gleam.io/bI86l/4-prizes-4-channels-4-winners-featuring-a-ryzen-7...

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/level1-news-march-23-2018-freshly-squeezed-bitcoins

Im not a huge fan of the release schedule atm. is most of the week with nothing and then bam 3 episodes almost back to back. Would it be reasonable to ask that the schedule be more even?

1 Like

On iOS as a developer platform (7 years of iOS experience, earlier CS background and a lot of other diverse professional coding, before and during these same 7 years):

Of course, the simplest solution is to NOT ANIMATE. The next simplest thing is to limit the text to be clipped outside the animating box. But you know, Apple never got around to animating the actual clipped area size. And this is exactly the bug demonstrated in the video.

Apple actually added a bunch of unnecessary animations all over the iOS 11. Not only that, they added it as a default behavior to all components. By changing the defaults, or introducing behavior-altering defaults. That’s what they regularly do. Sometimes in the minor versions too.

Of course, this means that every developer has to go through each case and manually disable the crap out of it for each new change. Altering default behavior is what they’ve been doing with each iOS release, one way or another. Drives one crazy, fucks up one’s work. So many times I wish I’d just send Apple the invoice for developer time wasted adapting to new shit no one ever asked for.

There are solutions to this problem, none of which result in “common” coding practices. And most apps don’t continue to exist past a year, or are so simple as to not individually cost much in absolute terms. However, in relative terms, unsolicited iOS changes still cost about 10% of the initial app development time cost per year. On average for each app. If you want your app to continue working as originally designed. Of course, you could also just redesign it each year for 80% of the initial app development cost, which is what Apple would like you to do. Which makes you less of a software developer and more of an iOS design and feature demonstrator. On iOS, you are not making products. You are the product.

There is a limit to how much automation and best practices can help - they are a linear solution to an exponential problem. I mean that they only solve one dimension of several dimensions the problem is made of, so they don’t reduce the complexity sufficiently to make it manageble in any long term, and new dimensions are occasionally added to the problem space.

iOS, from a developer standpoint isn’t a conrolled environment. And neither is Android for that matter. Neither are conductive to disciplined work. Once you have plenty of successful apps (as in apps you continue to support and operate year after year) of sufficient complexity, the cost of change prevents you from creating more at a very early rate. You become a full time maintainer and lose several competitive edges, through no fault of your own. You no longer develop, unless you cease support to your current customers and users.

Apple and Google favorise the happy app-developer campers on the top of mount stupid. Those are the guys who make most buzz about their platforms. Those are the guys who sell it to others. No one else can have that much enthusiasm. I haven’t worked in web development for a long while, but I suppose that “platform” isn’t much better either, though.

There is, however also an important moral to this:

Of course quality of everything will suffer, for each detractor introduced into the every day life. Especially as developers, detracted themselves, release further detractors (faults) on hundreds of thousands of people each day. It is at a much greater rate that we are releasing detractors to people, then way back before internet when products used to be physical. There is no way we can clean it all up.

It is the small detractors, the small irritations, catching us off guard which can make us irritable. They introduce the negative perceptions you can’t quite put your finger on, and which are then easily blamed on the common scapegoats. Not everyone is susceptible, but plenty people are. Wittingly, or unwittingly, bad quality of products delivered contributes to perception of a society gone to shit. And misdirects attention from real problems we would have cared about otherwise, had we not already been exhausted and conditioned to accept bad service by these many and minute detractors.

Quality is important. But where is quality? How is it defined? How is it measured? How do we know we have it? How do we make it transparent? The qualities of each thing we own or are exposed to?

(ICOs)

It seems highly likely that ICOs are going to be treated as securities. They were originally intended to function as securities for smaller projects. This means that licenses for ICOs are probably going to be a thing. Given that, it would be more difficult and expensive for a blatant scam or pyramid scheme to take advantage of an ICO model.

The current state is that most people don’t understand derivatives at all. It’s similar to people treating crowdfunding tech as pre-order stores. There is going to be a lot of people “getting ripped off” in the near term. This is because due diligence isn’t likely to be a part of investment with the average person. They’re just too trusting and ignorant of the process. It’s also likely that this will not change any time soon. Most will just get angry and quit.

This isn’t exactly good news for ICOs. It’s a significant constraint on the adoption ceiling.

I hate to say it; but I agree that some form of marker for legitimacy is needed. As long as the average person is still allowed to invest in ICOs, it’s not really a problem. It’s when the investors have to be wealthy and licensed that it is no longer a step forward.

Que?

It’s Tuesday midnight, wed midnight, to Thurs midnightish, Fri midnight? Then sat or sun … ?

Nothing Mondays.

The algorithm delaying notification ?? What schedule would be more even?

Fun Fact on the side: I still got some crypto coin ad before that video (well, technically CFDs on Cryptos), so apparently it’s not deactivated yet.

You mean ICO?

Yes, thanks; I’ll make the corrections.

Creeps are people too!

Really? We are just now talking about mind uploading service? Fuck… Missy already did that to create a new army of cybermen. Geesh.

Im not entirely sure. It just feels strange having the 3 episodes clumped up together on tuesday, wednesday. and friday.

My best guess on a good schedule would be tuesday, friday, and sunday.

1 Like

spoilers

1 Like