Level1 News June 19 2019: Save Money, Live Better, Get Robbed | Level One Techs

https://www.one-tab.com/page/JrzaShlLSJ-EKzxM53Z9VQ

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/level1-news-june-19-2019-save-money-live-better-get-robbed
1 Like

22:33 - Does Krista nod off there for a sec? :laughing:

1 Like

TurboGrafx-16 Mini console topic:

The Playstation Classic console had some really bad software implementation. It uses the PCSX-Reloaded emulator very poorly. There are PS1 games that would get 30fps on real hardware that could only hit 20-25fps on the PS Classic. Also the PS1 classic oddly included PAL versions of games, which means that they were designed to run at 50Hz. Sony made some bad decisions with this.

However, with that said. Currently these devices have dropped down to $30.00 (I bought one a few weeks ago at a Walmart, $30 Canadian price) .

The hardware does use a MediaTek MT8167A ARM Cortex A35 Clocked at 1.5Ghz, PowerVR GE8300 graphics core, 1GB LPDDR3 (1866Mhz), MediaTek MT6392A audio, and a 16GB eMMC storage drive. Also it comes with two nifty USB (non analogue) classic PS1 styled gamepads.

For $30 price tag it is going for in most retail outlets right now, the hardware is worth it, and it is very easy to soft mod the machine using a USB stick. There is already an implementation of Retroarch for the PS1 classic, and it has a much better version of the PCSX-Reloaded emulator that will run the built-in games at their proper framerates. Also, it is quite easy to add more PS1 titles as well as other console emulators. Also, some people have Linux distros running on this hardware too. It might be possible to get networking to work with a USB wired or wireless adapter.

As for the TG-16 mini console. I have never played an original system. So I can’t really comment on it. But the emulation is being done by a Japanese company called M2, who are also making the newest Sega Genesis mini console. M2 uses some interesting implementation where they use half emulation and half native port to the hardware. They do this to reduce latency to make the games play as close to the real hardware as possible. They push for a high level of accuracy.

2 Likes

I taught a group of three year olds that morning, I may have been a little exhausted lol…

2 Likes

Wow, just when I’m looking for a laptop HP comes up with that mess.

In the first episode this week I thought you needed a jacket, now I know you needed a blanket and a nap!

I didn’t realize you taught kids that young… Props for sticking around for the news and being there. Its always nice to have a full crew for L1 News!

Sort of correction-ish on the Xbox Scarlett story. The article mentions “assuming the Xbox team still has plans for “Lockhart””, well, their plans are to trash the thing.

They don’t want to put more burden on the developers (since the xbox has always been struggling to get exclusives in the first place). Ultimately this would most likely end up like the current gen where developers optimize for the weaker version (because obviously that’s cheaper and more consoleros would buy it), and only some gimmicks for the higher end version - it’s the same issue the X has currently, nothing really stands out on it even tho the hardware is technically superior to the PS4 Pro.

Anyway, they confirmed they will only be making one version of the Scarlett.

Here’s also an article on it:

can confirm with the xbox one x that optimizations were a part in me wanting it, but then in reality only a few games supported the boost in power. seeing them stop the cheaper variant made me think either tariffs or forcing people to pay more for the only product available was influencing their decision. in the end if consoles dont stick to the budget side; people will catch on that you can get a similar experience if you save up like $200 more to get a PC (and avoid the online subscription bullcrap).

that might also be some part, but realistically they still sell the consoles at a loss, their revenue is from games and the subscription services.

1 Like