Level1 News June 12th 2017: Millennials Love Esports, Remember 'The Wizard'? | Level One Techs

https://www.one-tab.com/page/_gv53PmRQnW09daOYl4Qtw

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/level1-news-june-12th-2017-millennials-love-esports-remember-wizard
1 Like

Fun and scary. The hardest issue I face is the fact that I will have to face disavow technology in order to just live as person and not some sheep to invade and data mine the crap out of. Even then ? Be surrounded by it and cannot do anything about it. Love to colonize a new world/planet but will not live long enough.

Honestly, I want 4k 16:10 monitors to become a thing. I really hate wide screen monitors and prefer more vertical space as well. I work with digital art a lot and vertical space is always an issue. I would even go for 4k 4:3 panels. I remember having a few different 4:3 CRT's that could support up to 2048 x 1536 at 75Hz and they were great for digital art, especially with the deep blacks they could produce. But that is w hole other topic.

5 GHZ "Uuuhhhhhh" - Wendell.

The UK is not completlet screwed yet, although May won, but her party has less than half the total number of seats so it's possible for other parties to block legislation.

The Plane AI cannot shoot people... or can it?

Instant Nine Inch Nails

Also Mercedes drivers? Nonononono BMW over here. The Mercedes drivers here use theirs because they do not want to get their cars hit, BMW drivers are just assholes with no concern for any one on the road, even themselves. The best I heard of it too was No BMW drivers do actually use their indicators, it is just that they emit light at a wavelength only view-able to other up their own ass BMW drivers

WOW! That Samsung DoubleWide is amazing, for gaming anyway. Stack two of them and damn I am good. But for anything other than gaming nah this is not good. And yeah the price is going to rule it out. A 40" 2160p is still the one I want more. And I cannot really talk, my primary monitor is an iPad screen.

Ooohhh so they are euthanising Down's Syndrome people before they are born. And the country seems fine with it. One step closer to full eugenics before birth. EDIT: Which I should add I am all for, this is a good thing. Now if only we could also get the right to die passed everywhere for people all ready alive and suffering. I am sick of the forced living stance almost every country takes. No matter the situation, you must live, no questions about quality of life there after you just simply must live.

I'm confused about @wendell's comment about the cable TV thing... old set top boxes (yeah, probably true), but... menu interface clunky - yeah ok that might be, depending on the model. There are probably ads, idk... never really seen this to be honest. TV shows not indexed properly, search function a joke...

Not sure if something like this doesn't exist in the US, but... moderately modern boxes support EPG (or IPG, whatever) that does a lot of this. Is this not a thing in the US? Of course the channels still need to feed that data, but stuff like MythTV or Kodi use that very same information.

Of course a PC could integrate with more services to enhance the information further, but when done right EPG is actually quite useful. For TV shows it's possible to send not only title and content of the episode, but also ordering information like season and episode number so that you can record complete shows whenever a missing episode airs.

Of course it comes down to how well the software is built, but that's the same thing on the PC. If you got crappy software that doesn't actually do anything you're in the same situation... I mean in the end a set top box is nothing else then a computer anyway.

That Samsung monitor, I'd really need to try it (haven't used ultra-wide before). But the thing is really.... what are you going to use it for. Like, for productive stuff, video editing, photo editing, whatever I think it would be nice. The problem with gaming is that most games (especially older ones) aren't really ready for ultra-wide, HUD elements stick to the edge of the screen which is frankly just a sh*t experience I'd imagine.

Lastly, where the hell is the Uber story? Nothing happened? Did they go bankrupt?

Re: AI suicide detection run amok.

This weekend I texted a help line because I was sad and lonely. After watching the news, I'm pretty sure it was an AI. The AI immediately went to DefCon5. "Based on your symptoms, I'm pretty sure that you are suicidal". It was trying to trick me into saying the wrong thing and then the Police would be at my door. I know because last year that happened (with a human) and as soon as I opened the door the cops pulled their guns on me.

I spent the whole "help" session defending myself to prevent the AI from calling the police. I felt like she was holding her hand over a big red button and when she slapped it there was a spinning red light and police siren mounted on a pole in her cubicle that would go off. It caused my stress and anxiety to rise exponentially. Eventually I said 'This was a mistake. Goodbye' and they kept calling back. I had to add them to my Extreme Call Blocker app.

I am a member of NAMI (National Alliance for Mental Illness) and I wrote to them about that nightmare experience. I said the threat of litigation has help lines on a hair trigger. They wrote back about how they were so sorry the current state of mental health care is so bad. Then they said next time to use their text help line.

The NAMI text number was the same one that I had been complaining about and I didn't realize it.
The caller is inside the house!

Automated planes?

Airbus tried that once.

Well, there's a reason there are tests before going live...