Level1 News July 18 2017: R.I.P. Gluestick | Level One Techs

https://www.one-tab.com/page/SxZx0QAORVmf263IS0RNEw

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/level1-news-july-18-2017-rip-gluestick
1 Like

America...United States. Once government subsidies subside, the market takes affect. Glad HK stopped that bad bit of economics.

Ah you mention W3C and the demise of the open and free internet. It is bound to happen, as both big business and government is in on it. Even educational institutions are in on it. No wonder few dare to oppose. Remember Aaron Schwartz? That's how it is folks, nobody dares anymore.

1 Like

Gif's in DNA, A thought struck me while watching. Is this how replicant makers will sign their work? Have I watched Bladerunner too many times?

That or a Sci Fi storyline, the creators of this tech discover that our DNA has branding thus proving the existence of God but God turns out to be Intergalax corp and the earth is just discarded petri dish.

1 Like

Obligatory "The Patreon Link in the 'Listen to this as a podcast' section is still wrong" :stuck_out_tongue: I still believe that I may be heard aat some point :smiley:

Amazon Prime:
There's also Prime Video, but honestly it seems somewhat overpriced considering the content and compared to Netflix. About the recommendations you have to buy, well, obviously they want to bait you, that's nothing new :slight_smile:
The issue I see with the Prime push is that at some point (if that hasn't already come) there's going to be too many Prime members. If everyone is a Prime member, noone is a Prime member, at least reagarding the Prime shipment thing. At some point there's no way to prioritise Prime members anymore because there are too many Prime members. Is there going to be a Prime+ ? Prime for free shipping, Prime+ for 1-day shipment?

PC Shipments:
Discrepancy in sales up or down - probably down to whether this is for just OEM machines or also machines done through a configurator (ibuypower, originpc and similar come to mind). And also exactly what is counted as a "PC". Just a regular workstation PC, or also terminals for VDI clients?

I would guess (though @wendell probably knows more about this) that especially in the enterprise the latter is gaining more momentum in the past years.

Audi A8
FYI: 37 mph = 59,545728 km/h in real units.

3 Likes

A robot story for everyone :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I WISH Amazon Prime was free for students, but it's half price so that's pretty good here in the UK. I pay something like £35 a year and easily make that back in the deliveries alone, as well as letting my parents use the prime video stuff. I just wish they actually offered discounts across text books because they always seem to be very specific books and the vast majority aren't covered.

My benchmark scores define me as a person

Problem is book prices (for new books that is) are fixed by the publishing company, so they would basically loose money if they offered a discount there. At least that's how it is here in germany, not sure if that's the same for you.

But it states that they offer discounts on text books as part of Amazon Prime... it's just that it's not any useful text books it seems.

Also I think that story about the Amazon Echo calling the police was actually false? I don't think it has that functionality, nor would it do so without the preceding "Alexa"?

The police didn't reveal the company, noone knows what device it was. Also maybe his girlfriend was named Alexa, who knows :stuck_out_tongue:

What would cortona do in a dosmestic dispute?

CORTONA "I see your having an issue, Would you like to try windows 10?"

1 Like

It seems like advances in technology are eventually going to force an upgrade to internet infrastructure in the US. Right now there are virtual assistants like Siri, Cortana and Alexa that are much more advanced. The issue with distributing them is probably the horsepower on client and server side. The demos use the most powerful mobile devices connected to expert systems like Watson; though probably not as sophisticated. Of course the servers that run Siri, Cortana and Alexa aren't going to be able to run software that can parse combinations of the parts of speech like an expert system; so there is going to be some major retooling involved before launching these applications. This of course is going to be on hold until it's financially permissible. Since it also requires more horsepower client side and a multiplicative of the data exchange, and considering that mobile devices are the most common telecom device, the amount of data traveling over the internet is likely to increase substantively. The speed disparity between movement of electrons and radiation is something to consider as well. Some of the possible "bandwidth" can be maximized in the frequency. At some point, maybe in the next ten years, shielded copper coax will become a liability.

...and maybe not. Either way we are going to outgrow the internet as it is. Remember Internet 1.0? It was an entirely different animal. The huge and constant issues may suggest that the internet as we know it is dying. Failures across the board often indicate a system that is being driven into extinction. This may be a sign of impending obsolescence. Internet 2.0 may have been ok for the .com boom, but I doubt that it is sufficient for an information society; and we seem to be heading that direction at an accelerated rate.

Tim Berners Lee has been working on the "Next Web". It follows along the line of information society models. I don't think he cares that much about DRM. He created the platform for commercial use of the internet. Remember the heated debates over privacy vs provenance? How would the internet have turned out with a provenance protocol? You think maybe Tim Berners lee feels a little beside himself on the topic of DRM? Maybe a little "been there done that"? Jaron Lanier certainly does.

Technological advancement has been one of the most influential forces in the development of human society since the emergence of the anatomically modern human... before as well, but technically homonids... who didn't care about privacy either.

"I see you're having an issue with your wife. Would you like some help with that?"

"That's a tumor"

"Sounds good to me!"

Intel has done it for me, I WILL NOT be buying another Intel box... ever if I can help it. Next box will be Ryzen, I really would love a TR but can't afford it. Between this latest crap, a horrid X299 platform and expensive CPU's they just refuse to cut price on they can go frack themselves.

Well I'm not surprised that AI is able to analyze CAT scans to look for cancer. Earlier this year, my professor had his son (who works for HP) give a presentation to our class about AI and data analysis. Right in his presentation he showed us an example of a program he had developed (and distributed to a local hospital) which was over 99% accurate in predicting malignant/harmless tumors based upon data points about the tumor.

I enjoy the news about robots and AI, and I have come to terms with our future bleak outlook. In a few years, when most of us have an invasive neuro-electrical implant, or are addicted to a neuro-electrical personal wearable device, we will be the robots (if we aren't already). The one flaw I always saw in population reduction was the issue of who gets the honor of working at mcdonalds or washing dishes at a resturaunt, while a handful of elites subsist on everything being provided by automation. Now I think I get it, it will be me who gets feel-good vibes and a happy change in body chemistry when I serve some rich brat a cheeseburger, liberally dispensed to me through my brain- computer interface by an AI program. Yippeeee..

Cloud atlas nailed this one. Unless you are a nice looking asian girl, fed on a nutrient paste made of ground up older asian girls, I wont buy a cheese burger from you!

1 Like

Sadly, I am not. But now I am depressed again because your vision of the future is bleaker than mine. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

1 Like

Whats more, is I can't bloody wait. It needs to be now. Life would be so much more interesting.

1 Like