Level1 News February 27 2018: Spend Crypto, Obtain Barbie Dreamhouse PART 1 | Level One Techs

Well, I am not a millenial, so I may be biased. But I tend to think the people running YouTube have no idea what they are doing. However, it is bigger than Jesus, so their responsiblity to turn a profit for Google/Alphabet is probably overlooked.

There is a growing market for good discussion on the internet, in the face of media soundbytes, biased articles, you name it. It seems like traditional media channels are sounding their death rattle. Back when there were a few tv channels, only a small amount of time was available to tell you what was happening. if you wanted more information, you read the news paper.
Now well researched and informed discussions about many topics are happening all the time in the internet, and you have access to all of it. Be it 3 hour podcasts or lectures. People are consuming the hell out of this stuff.

There is a place for long form discussion that dive into the nitty gritty of topics. There is also a place for a highlights reel or summation, so people can go find what they want. Look ar Joe Roganā€™s podcasts. I donā€™t care for MMA or the stand up comedy stuff, but he sure has some interesting people on sometimes. The weekly highlights reel he does is great for finding out things I would have previously overlooked because I didnā€™t know whot he person was.

With regards to Dropbox IPO. I associate IPOs with a newly found requirement to turn a profit. So without looking into it I expect aggressive marketing and monetisation of the service.

Do the news live, with dancing panda bears and female guest hosts showing lots of cleavage. Also put tits in the thumbnail and make the title in CAPS saying something like: AJIT PAI ACTUALLY SAID THIS!

Then bask in the glory of a million subs.

Trust me, Iā€™ve been on YouTube for 12 years.

Yeah, but that is what you want? You are what you eat. I think that applies to youtube. if you jump through all the hoops to get bulkb low quality subs, you get a bulk low quality audience that shriek at you in comments and donā€™t form a good community.
Thatā€™s my take on it. Iā€™ll never know because itā€™s not something I will ever do.

As far as the new format goesā€¦ I like itā€¦ but thatā€™s mostly due to having a life outside of the Internetā€¦

Between full time work, a two year old, and all the projects I have to do around the house, 20-30 minutes is about all I have to myself at the end of every dayā€¦ so it just means I can watch whole segments in a go, instead of having 4 goes at the same video lol

As far as the Dropbox and other storage services goes, Iā€™m curious what @wendell and Ryan think about what the guys at storj.io are doing?

probably wouldnā€™t work out financially for people using less than the ā€œfreeā€ storage offered by the likes of Google etc, or for people like yourselves who have vast amounts of data in storageā€¦

But looks well priced for those in betweenā€¦ they accept BTC, their own coin and Fiats as payment, open source software, and even end-to-end encryption to bootā€¦

Why bother with those who are harvesting your info and selling it off, while charging you to do itā€¦

I donĀ“t know what mega.co.nz does with my data, but I know all my files that go anywhere for archival are AES-256 enrypted. I better not loose that USB drive, else the backup is a dead-up

Thats fineā€¦ But the vast majority of people dont have the same technical knowledge as most of us hereā€¦ and alot of other just cant be bothered with thatā€¦

Alsoā€¦ what happens when Mega falls overā€¦ or better yetā€¦ gets taken down? Remember last time that happened??

I donĀ“t put all my eggs in one basket. I have a backup drive at my grand parents, USB drives at friends houses and some cold storage sitting in my pc (disconnected hdd) for the time when it was the wrong button.
In my uneducated opinion and unfortunate experience, it works.

1 Like

The corporate model is over 100 years old and seemingly outdated. President Lincoln thought it was a bad idea from the start. He was concerned about itā€™s inherent ability to aggregate wealth; and his concerns have been justified.

The fact that YouTube is such a large company is a bad thing; because it no longer has room to grow. Theyā€™ve taken on more aggressive marketing strategies and more strict policies for their patrons and partners, as an attempt to secure dividends for their stockholders, by increasing profits, with the same level of growth.

The fatal flaw in the corporate model is that itā€™s a perpetual growth machine. Corporations have financial incentives to grow built into the model. This is probably a product of government regulation dynamics. Itā€™s nationalistic in a sense. If large companies are growing at an accelerated rate, the overall economy for their country of origin is strong; and money is power in the world economy. This has been the case since antiquity and the dark ages where gold funded ground wars; but itā€™s also relevant post enlightenment with the financial warfare that still exists today.

It seems like DropBox is having trouble competing with Google and Microsoft due to lack of funding. I doubt that they intend to win; but they do seem to want to dip into the market share as much as possible. The only reason that I can speculate is a will to be bought or merged, rather than being beaten down. People already have Google and Microsoft accounts, so they are just more convenient. By increasing the value of DropBox and the number of patrons, Google and Microsoft can be pitted against each other for the competitive advantage of acquiring DropBox.

I may be way off though.

Part 2 is up!

1 Like

It is shorter than the GN case review I am watching right now :frowning:

Yeah, under 15 minutes. I was expecting longer.

Thankfully, I am not on Bell Canada. But I expect it to come to my IP soon.

1 Like

Two more shows lined up for this week :smiley: will try to flow better next week

2 Likes

It will be interesting to see how this turns out. Iā€™m not trying to hate on this change and I totally get the attempt to take advantage of the trash youtube algorithms. It will be an interesting experiment!

I quite like to liken the self-perpetuating mechanism of corporate to milking a dead cow - everyone knows it is dead, but they just canā€™t stop themselves from attempting to extort more milk from the corpse, and it is also so gross that it causes accidents due to extensive rubbernecking. Abandoning the corpse and changing the business model is a risk, and corporate is risk averse to the point of acting either insane or just plain blind in self-perpetuation. Sure one can see Microsoft, Apple, Dropbox, and #put any big corporate name here# branch out into new trending areas, but their effort seems always to be towards attracting new people to peddle the said dead cow milk to them. There is nothing there but dead cows. Being milked.

Anyhow, it will be interesting to see how the corporate will attempt to trademark the

and whether it will also start milking cats and rats to death in doing so.

As things continue to change in the coming years, I think weā€™ll be seeing a lot more ā€¦ interesting ā€¦ shit happening.

1 Like

Ok thatā€™s bad. I didnā€™t thought you would just cut out and paste the second part. You will have to make a separate introduction and everything.

Fuck it. Iā€™m just gonna watch those suggested Barbie videos. Why not? Everyone should get out of their comfort zone from time to time.

1 Like

I just thought that was corporate greed. The end goal seems to be become wealthy enough to get a seat at a table somewhere.
However, I am struggling to think of many corporations who have higher aspirations, beyond what they say.

Anyways, the new format makes perfect sense. The YouTube moneys must be worth something, or at least the exposure.

Nooo donā€™t let the algorithm win ā€¦ We did that as a kind of meta to show how dumb the algorithm really is

1 Like

Of course Iā€™m not gonna watch a damn Barbie video.

2 Likes

If you watch a Barbie video, is the next video suggested a L1T video? Hmmmmā€¦

2 Likes