Level1 News February 27 2018: Spend Crypto, Obtain Barbie Dreamhouse PART 1 | Level One Techs

Clear your cookies and HTML5 storage. I have it set to do that any time I close the window.

I’m fine with this. I tend to watch the news in increments anyway. Whenever I have 10min to waste waiting for someone to mail something or download a database I watch a topic or two.

2 Likes

Seems like a win win. the shorter news’s segments are better for YouTube, @wendell has said it will give them more opertunity to go more in depth, the full show is available for patreons.

What’s not to like.

Quick pace, quick change between news items, short episode. I like. Also easier to pick a few to comment on.

Car manufactuers selling data does not only extend to selling it to privately owned third parties.

Several of the huge car manufacturers are significantly owned by Chinese companies. Thus the Chinese government also owns the data. The owner of Geely, a Volvo cars owner, also happened to buy into the Volvo cars direct competitor Daimler cars the other day. Now, it is Geely who owns stakes in Volvo, but it is Geelys owner in person who owns stakes in Daimler, probably in an attempt to circumvent accusations of conflict of interest (if Geely had purchased the stakes in both, this would have been an issue). We’re talking about 10%-ish ownerships in both, but you get the picture. So now that the ownership picture is clear, what government won’t try to compete with the Chinese government when it comes to harvesting most data about the citizens? Or at least try to invent the ways to cock-block their access? The bumpy ride we are riding is bumpy.

It is, at any rate, the conflict seems no longer simply classifiable as corporate vs consumer. That classification is no longer sufficient, as the conflict front line has literally moved past that, and the stakeholders have become government entities.

I love level1techs, the news and the podcasts. I’m patreoned up to the hilt and you guys are doing a fantastic job!

Because I love you guys I have to call point out some contradictions in the statements I heard on today’s (and hinted at on other shows).

And I just want to be clear, I’m not trying to make a partisan point here, I’m just trying to apply some consistent logic to an issue mentioned.

There’s a lot of mention regarding solving the frequency of violent atrocities by implementing mental health initiatives, but this suggestion is not compatible with L1’s fundamental positions on privacy and the psychological track record of those committing these crimes.

You seem to have perpetrators in two categories: those genuinely insane and those who are not. The first category wouldn’t be cable of the self assessment required to hand themselves up to authorities almost by definition and the second category have no wish to do so. There doesn’t appear to be any case that I’m aware of where a perp who has committed some premeditated attack has at some stage in that process attempted to seek help.

Without widespread government surveillance of people’s personal data in order to identify these individuals ahead of time the “mental health” solution wouldn’t effectively solve the issue.

What’s wrong with the far more logical position of; “I enjoy this hobby/form of self defense and wish that the bad apples would stop ruining it for us”.

2 Likes

This:

Patreon beeing used to wall off content that was previously available for free.
Another problem from that is that patreons would be talking in topics like this one about parts of the show that are not out yet making “de-railing” much more likely.

1 Like

As far as I understand non patreons get the whole show too just in a different form (2-3 short videos instead of one long video). I see what you mean but you not being a patreon doesn’t mean you miss content.

The content is still free, just have to wait a bit longer (though I do understand your position).

Also this is a good point, however I’m not sure how much of an issue it will be. At the moment this is just a test to see if this helps with YouTube’s algorithm afaik.

3 Likes

That’s a bit disingenuous, its still available for free, they’re just showing it over a few days in shorter segments. No ones taking anything away from you.

By the sounds of it, the podcast will also still be full length.

New format would allow categorizing which would allow easier backtracking

But would have to come up with the style for how to do it, one way would be obviously titles,
and think better way would be playlists as it allows easier name changing when teh joke gets even better

For example,
Darth Ajit Pai
Nvidia
AyyMD
Intel
1100 series
AMERICA
European states :smiley:

Needs subliminal messages and secrets that are revealed when all videos are released.

1 Like

Like the screws :shushing_face:

1 Like

I can see that.
Maybe a briefing of the entire news in the first segment?

Something had to be tried, so I welcome change. It’s crazy that there are stil less than 200k subscribers.

And personally I favor videos between 20-40 minutes in general. As much as I love to, watching a movie length video in one sitting isn’t always practical. And YouTube downrates videos that aren’t watched end to end…

So far patrons seem to be enjoying the relative quiet and quality discussion on youtube comments actually on youtube. I think it just went to the top of our list to make a patron-only area of the site where the full-length news video is posted. we’ve already got the patreon integration, and that would mitigate whatever small chance their might have been of mis-participation. I think we’ll add the full-length videos to the news playlist on Fridays so the podcast machinery and public access to the full-length podcast works. Net result is just a 4-day delay (at worst, for the nonsense section).

Again, though, mostly this is an experiment. We’ll be disappointed if it results in less net distribution on that platform since we already drive so much traffic on our own vs what we got on the platform… that’s a risk we’re taking. How long until we experiment with weirdly disproportionate faces in thumbnails and clickbait headlines? lol I don’t think that audience is interested in making the world a better place. But we are :smiley:

i knew i wasn’t the only one

South Africa and the starving of millions :slight_smile:

I saw a decent jump in patreons since the new changes, so seems good to me (prety sure like +50ish)

I don’t know what the big deal is with the new format. Sometimes I’ll watch the video halfway through and continue later. With the new format I’ll just watch two or more videos instead of one several times. It may reduce total views on a single video, but if L1T staff doesn’t care, why should anyone else?

1 Like

It could actually help views if YouTube does not count partial viewing. Maybe they do though. IDK.