Level1 News February 13 2018: Stank Love | Level One Techs

Considering:

Thought provoking. One could take it that neurosis (limitations and operational parameters provided by the specific set of neurosis) combined with the physical (embodiment, environment) limitation is what defines an individual - the character, the personality, the actions. The identity.

In a symbiosis, it is unclear who uses whom. I am assuming we are already in a symbiotic relation to the (digital/virtual) environment and technology, and the premise is too attractive to just go away. Although the “technology” does not have a purpose it is aware of, or capable of reasoning about, yet. We will, one way or another, become attached to instances of simulated life. Hopefully not a single AI instance (lacking the neurosis and physical limitations we are able to relate to) but more lika a personal companion instance we can extend ourselves with over time. It will be interesting to see how people who embrace the simulated life symbiots (in addition to all the other technology we already are symbiotic with) change - no doubt, the altered parameters of their neurosis and embodiment will also lead to having their humanity questioned.

Our current symbiotic relation is humanity-to-technology. I am more hopeful of a future where the symbiotic relation is more familiar - a-person-to-a-personal-instance. It is still destructive to a conservative idea of a personal identity, though, since no individual can then hind behind the collective idea of an unchanging humanity.

Employing a symbiotically enhanced person may end up having a similar effect as abandoning family pay (working dad) and introducing women to work (working mom and dad) - employers got two workers for the price of one - perhaps not initially so but over time. Well, unless we all get replaced by machines first, failing to realize the advantages of symbiotic relations on account we are too stuck in our present identities.

And I am not even talking about body modifications, I am just talking about a simulated life personal assistant in your pocket. Of course a personal assistant to you, a faithful symbiot, not a personal betrayer telling your every move to Apple, Google, and Microsoft and spilling your most private stuff to complete strangers.

1 Like

Exactly. Perceptual data from sensory input seems to be what creates the perception of the homunculus. It may also be the reasoning behind the binding principle. In a VR simulation for instance, we feel like we’re somewhere else.

Our intellect and character however comes from interaction with the environment and interpersonal interactions. We seem to be bound equally to our environment and each other.