Level1 News August 8 2017: Steve Jobs vs. The Uberfrau | Level One Techs

https://www.one-tab.com/page/zLo2bNddR5aKaD2LLBFF5g

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/level1-news-august-8-2017-steve-jobs-vs-uberfrau
2 Likes

\o/ woohoo
Good timing, I was looking for something to put on :slight_smile:

Always a nice way to start the day. An awesome podcast helps with the morning commute…

Obligatory "The Patreon Li–

Oh my god it’s been fixed :scream_cat: And even after I forgot last week :smile:

About Kim Dotcom (not that specific story, just in general)… How are so many people such fans of this guy and trying to support him, I never understood this. Are we hailing other criminals? :confused:

Vega Packs…

They are actually not quite as much a deal as it’s layed out to be…
I calculated with a friend of mine, and at least in germany you actually pay more when you’re buying with the deal as opposed to without them.
The thing about it is you can’t take the cheapest parts, you have to get specific ones. For example you have to get an R7 1700X or R7 1800X. For mainboards you can’t take the AX370 Gaming 5, you need to get the K7 (or the C6H, or the Titanium which are even more expensive). Also in Germany/Austria/Switzerland the deal on the monitor is not available (which most websites even in Germany neglect to mention because… reasons, and press material that isn’t completely clear about it).

For the CPU you’d pay ~50€ more as opposed to the 1700, for the K7 instead of the 5 it’s ~30€. Also the 1700X doesn’t ship with a cooler, so you need to get one. Decent ones (air) start at ~40€? So you’re already at 120€ additional, at which point the “savings” on the deals are already out the window. What remains is the monitor (again, not available in DACH), and the games, and those are always included.

Soooo… not really a deal, even though I did think about it. But actually calculating the costs (and that I don’t really need a new GPU to begin with, I’d just have taken it with the packs because I’m planning a Ryzen system anyway) I’m probably not going to get it :slight_smile:

Coffee Lake

Typical Intel Shinanigans again… the Z370 is a refresh of the Z270, nothing new. There is no reason the coffee lakes would not work on a Z270 except for software. It’s kinda hilarious and sad at the same time… All those vendors sitting around with a new charge of motherboards every half a year that they can never sell… And it’s just great for consumers too, because they always get the latest stuff right? Except mainboard manufacturers don’t even try anymore, they just take their boards, crack off the Z270 and slap on the “new” chipset and be done with it.

To be fair though we don’t know how AMD is going to handle it with future versions of Ryzen. They only said that the Socket is going to last a few years, remains to be seen how long the Chipsets last.

About the pings… luckily I do enough iRacing to know what my ping should be, I always check after joining a session and look at others pings too. I’m anywhere from 66 to 99 most of the time, then run tracert’s if its consistently higher then that.

oml the steve jobs jokes had me ded