Level1 News April 3 2019: Valve Takes Break From Making Money To Also Make VR Headset | Level One Techs

https://www.one-tab.com/page/XTmkXBguTdOp8IYSrrj2pw

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/level1-news-april-3-2019-valve-takes-break-making-money-also-make-vr-headset
1 Like

I use the Chase card which has 1% cash back everywhere but 5% in certain categories every quarter. First quarter was gas and other shit… gas was ok but I don’t drive much in that quarter (nor do many folks which is why they do that) but this quarter is grocery stores, and you don’t think on June 30th I’m gonna be a grocery buyin mofo to get as much of that cashback as I can? Oh hellz yeah. Think 3rd and 4th quarter are kinda meh…it used to be 4th quarter Amazon for a couple of years and I did very well with that.

1 Like

Epic Games becoming the next Google?

Remember Angry Birds? Rovio said similar things.

Angry Birds is still around… but they’re not soaring the heights they predicted. Not by a long shot.

Microsoft wanting smart people… well they had them, they had a QA group that was probably pretty smart… and fired them. So do they really want smart people?

Sports events with good seats… I’d love to be courtside with good basketball players just to try it out. For baseball I like being down as low as possible slightly past the dugouts, hockey about 8 rows up to avoid the glass, indoor LAX I found a great corner spot at the Gwinnett Arena where you can really see things well and outdoor LAX I prefer to be in the middle. Think I’m doing soccer this weekend and will probably do the middle thing seeing as its at the same stadium where outdoor LAX will be.

Re: Apple Services

Apple’s site claims the card arrangement is:

Apple Store 3%
Apple Pay 2%
Other 1%
Apple's exact wording

3%

Get 3% back on everything you buy from Apple, whether you buy it at an Apple Store, apple.com, the App Store, or iTunes. That includes games, in‑app purchases, and services like your Apple Music subscription and iCloud storage plan.

2%

Get 2% back every time you buy something using Apple Pay. That’s in every category, with no limits. Imagine all the things you use a credit card for every day — at Target, Walgreens, Lyft. You’ll get 2% back on just about everything.

1%

If you happen to come across a store, website, or app that doesn’t take Apple Pay yet, Apple Card still gives you 1% of your purchases back in the form of Daily Cash.

The Apple News thing sounds surprisingly good; WSJ for example is $15.60/month at its “best value” price. I can only hope this puts more pressure on news companies to find a better monetization model than “sign in each time you want to read the full article”. Maybe you could just offer your paying subscribers a PDF or EPUB download?

Personally, I’m not really concerned about any of Apple’s services in the big picture. Both Apple’s requirement of buying a device, and the large amount of Apple hatred that exists, keeps monopoly threats at bay. This lets it threaten competitors, and push changes in the market, without being as much of a threat to us the users as Facebook, Paypal, Google, Amazon, etc.

1 Like

You would have to buy a lot of crApple shit to make it worth it.

1 Like

Or if maybe if you can’t get the CitiCard that @ryan mentioned, and you mainly visit Apple-pay/NFC retailers.

Plus, on the privacy angle, Apple can probably get some additional converts. Apple does have pretty good customer trust, even if their technical competence is no longer able to back it up. They don’t exactly have stellar privacy or security darlings to contend with in the credit card industry anyway. — That might not mean all that much, depending on how easily merchants can sell customer-identifying-data to Google and others; though maybe Apple Pay puts a dent in that? I really don’t know.

The EMV pad pattern is interesting though, I’ve never seen ovals before, and usually the top right pad extends into the middle.
appl%20card%20emv%20pins

This reminds me of when I moved from Romania to Germany, and I noticed that the Internet is slower in Germany, my dad said “Well that’s because in Germany people don’t pirate as much, because they can afford to buy stuff.” And then I had to explain to him how Steam works and how other rich countries have faster Internet.