Level1 + Model M = Improving The Greatest Keyboard of All Time (2021 Unicomp "Mini M" Edition)

Those look solid enough for a keyboard anyway, thanks for clarifying.

If I may go on a tangent here, I’d love to see a model M with locking circular connectors. Just for the heck of it, because I love locking circular connectors.

Is there any plans for the Unicomp New model M? Dose that one have an upgraded membrane?

Well… I just ordered a KVM, would be nice if i could add a modded Model M to it :wink:

Where to start… I’m in the process of creating my own mechanical keyboard and keypad. I’m testing different microcontrollers currently. So far, I’ve worked with the ESP32, Adafruit M4 express, Adafruit STM32F4 express, Blue pill, Teensy 4.1, Raspberry Pi 2040 (Adafruit macropad), and Raspberry Pi zero (Pimoroni keybow.) In terms of built in features and latency, the Teensy is hands down the winner. I’m still waiting on my Arduino Portenta (STM32H7 dual core M7 & M4) to see if off loading some of the tasks to the second core might be a better option.

Regardless, Michael Stapelberg was kind enough to port over QMK onto the the Teensy 4.1 with his Kinesis keyboard. You can check out his kint project on Github.

If you’re just wanting to expand your keeb by adding a Raspberry Pi you can just use the Pi directly but that will add a little bit of latency but you can pretty much copy the code from the Pimoroni Kebow.

I really like the video, but it feels short. I would to see a longer one on the linux channel.

1. QMK/TMK programming is great and should be more mainstream.
  2. Having RPI Zero in there, or full Rpi 4 with QMK module is actualyl something I am doing as a DIY project now.
    1. I believe having SSH agent might be better than running it on host
    2. You could provide passphrase and confirm
    3. You could take your Model M on the road as we will inevitable go back to office again.
2 Likes

very lowlevel how keyboards and usb interface, but i like this man’s channel:

5 Likes

I’m very interested in getting a replacement controller for my Mini M. It doesn’t matter if its pre-soldered or not as I can do the assembly myself. I got one of the first batches of the Mini M (mid March of 2020) and it has had a bad problem of not properly re-initializing if I reboot my computer or start from a shutdown and it’s been super annoying to deal to have to re-plug it in every time that happens.

Is there an approximate time this would show up on the store? I’m really excited for this L1 project!

1 Like

I’d be interested in one for a new model M, and even more interested in a universal controller for my fleet of old model Ms.

Seems like a great learning project for my remedial soldering skills :wink:

Insert “shut up and take my money” meme…

2 Likes

The best solution to a problem with crappy cables is to get rid of them entirely. /Apple

But then you’re stuck with batteries and pairing. :neutral_face:

1 Like

And, funnily enough, cables anyway to power the charging pad

1 Like

Or AAs :smiley: Or in case of a model M you could probably fit some C cells in there :smiley:

3 Likes

Yeah hopefully I can order one of these soon, when they start shipping to outside US again.
My soldering skills are lacking. But I probably just need a smaller iron. The last time I tried to replace a Cherry MX switch on my keyboard, I almost destroyed the thing. I wouldn’t want to ruin a brand new Model M. I will have to take some Pentazemin, to steady my hands.

Hi Wendel, love what you are doing! I was curious, considering that you have all the keyboards that one could wish for, do you have any experience with a QMK conversion of a Model F XT? I am cleaning one up at the moment and realise that I probably want to remap some keys to get the full functionality that I need. Thanks in advance!

Not directly but if we can get a video out of it I can try to help. You might not need QMK because remapping keys is really easy with the arduino sketchpad teensy adapter, though. Since the F is capacitive you can just read the XT signals and translate them into whatever you like.

Some folks saw up the PCB to replace the whole controller with xwhatsit or capsense but… I think this is not necessary.

2 Likes

This looks great! I have a Model M 122 I’d love to try this on. Has much testing been done on one of these?

I’ve got a 1997 Lexmark Model M 122 (terminal variant) which i hope will be compatible with the M-Star Classic.

Should be! Got any pics of internals?

That sounds harsh though, cutting up the pcb :stuck_out_tongue: I have managed to get everything up and running with a soarer converter, which serves the purpose, yet I doesn’t give full customizability. I intend to move the converter into the chassis and just have a micro-usb connector at the spot where usually the cable comes out. (I know that USB B is mechanically more sound, but I would need to cut into the chassis more for such a large connector). I am just thinking what the use-case would be for the other people to go further than this… I mean you can get a ‘new’ model F for about the same money as what I have invested in the Model F XT, if you add all the tools that you need to get this on the road; and then you do get QMK.

BTW, I realised that the clamping technique that you used for reassembly of the Model M really saved my bacon, so thank you for that :smiley:

I’d absolutely love to buy one of these controller kits for my Mini M! I’ve never had to solder before but I don’t mind learning. Any idea when they’ll be available?

Interested here as well

Learned to solder in de 90s, so my thru-hole skills are fine and SMD skills are none existent. Would love to put the kit together myself for my 1993 ibm ModelM. Would love to help on that project, is there anything I could do?