Level1: 172tb+ Storage Server | Level One Techs

I see a ray of sunshine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@kreestuh has not been cured of her data hoarding then?

3 Likes

/Wave hands wildly
Someone stop her !

2 Likes

No idea what you’re talking about, guys. “Data hoarding”, pf. Complete Rule 34 Overwatch archive won’t collect itself, you know. Somebody has to do it!

Is there even enough Rule34 Overwatch to fill 300TB+?

Don’t forget the lord of the cockring, there is a lot of it!

YES! Finally

What kind of iSCSI interface is the R710 using?

Ethernet

1 Like

24GB from the disk shelves to the host? That does not sound like ethernet to me

the disk shelves are likely SAS

but per your question on iSCSI… that is purely by definition IP based… and 9 out of 10 times will be using ethernet.

1 Like

Did they mention iSCSI?

10 GE between storage server and hosts.
dual 4-lane SAS between storage server and shelves, I think.

I guess the shelves are DS4246? I already have a R510 running Freenas and I would like to add one shelf for more tray.
@wendell Is there any compatibility issues with disks or a maximum size that the shelf support? Can you add, for example, WD red 10tb in it?

Yes 4k only disks will not work at all. Af+512e like Toshiba and WD red are fine

I’d have liked to see more details that include costs, hardware sourcing, and actual configuration than your video included.

Surplus Auctions are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re going to get.

I would not use anything older than xeonv2 at this point, but there are some sweeeet deals to be had on 1st gen epyc at this point.

2 Likes

Would love to see another video auction build video. Especially with Epyc

Do not trust those chocolates!

1 Like

What are the parameters you set for better streaming performance?

I am looking to use some more of my RAM for ZFS, what kernel parameters are beneficial?