Level1: 172tb+ Storage Server | Level One Techs

yeah, so my recommendation then would be something a bit more modern. you could get 6x 10tb mechanical hard drive and have 40tb of usable space. modern hardware that'd be about 2.5-3 amps. 25 amps -- that seems awfully low. How do you heat water? run an air conditioner? Gas or wood heat? Houses around here, even very rural ones, are 125 amps at the main breaker. You can get 90 amps + from a 80x30 array of solar cells.

Here it's 220~230 V 16 A,
to heat water and run the central heating we use natural gas (standard gas inlet), we don 't have an air conditioner, in the summer we open the windows and in the winter we power up the central heating
electricity is a problem for us, switch on to many things and the lights go dim
a quick calculation tells me i can use about 1100 w if i leave the washing machine and dryer off

help :(

if you use 6x10tb mechanical hard drives + a good UPS, you'll be fine. Modern CPUs also use way less power than this thing a Xeon E3 1240v4 or v5 plus about 6 10tb hard drives would work well for you if 40tb is enough storage, and be friendly on the power bill.

Google nasferatu. That's what I use at home. Its a Fractal Node 304 itx case + a Xeon E3 cpu similar to above. its got 6 3.5" hard drive bays, easy to swap drives, it's an itx and my system scarcely uses 150 watts of electricity.

Is 40tb enough storage for you for now?

1 Like

thanks again for the quick answer, yes the configuration you list would do the trick that nasferatu sound like the right solution
40 tb should keep me ahead of the kids for while
thanks again

Awesome video.... What else can I say :)

That's a lot tho. Mine uses 50W on idle, 100W during sustained writing.

Intel Server board, i3-4170, 16GB ECC DDR3, LSI 9211-8i HBA, 8x 4TB WD Reds in RaidZ2 giving 19.9TB usable (still no clue what's going on with the missing 4TB), 2x Crucial MX200 in mirrored config.
I'd post pics but I don't want to hijack the topic.

Running Freenas 9.3 still. I really should update, but I need to flash my card to the P20 firmware first. Had tons of issues flashing from P19 to P16 back when Freenas only supported the latter, and that traumatized me so much that I've been postponing the upgrade for over half a year now.

1 Like

the xeon e3 is a bit thirsty for power, and its an old power supply, 150w was during a scrub iirc. the jails I have probably have the cpus pegged and there might have been a transcode job going. otherwise our configs are pretty similar. hitachi 7200 rpm disks tho instead

Amazing video. The ability of doing that with salvaged enterprise gear is astounding. Love the humour as well.

@wendell Any chance of doing the Docker video? It would be really cool to be able to set up the netboot server so I'm not constantly looking for ISOs and imaging them to flash drives.

Also keep the humour... or else

Edit: also could we get a picture of the wall at the end? For science.

6 Likes

True....docker vs snaps vs VM's

1 Like

I really enjoyed that small sketch at the end. Ryan is doing really well and is getting more and more into it. Really funny. Loved the wall as well haha.

1 Like

Excellent video! You have that commanding "nerd guru" presence. :D You'd make an amazing teacher Wendell. Great stuff, looking forward to more "toys" videos like this one!

Been gone for a while lol

He saw the light of the 4k Korean monitor way and has been forever changed

1 Like

This is actually a spare room in the office that we shot in the evening with a flashlight. It looks pretty different by daylight. :p

20 Likes

I'm going to make this my lock screen. Loving it.

Well that is going to give me nightmares

Should turn this into a wallpaper. Also it's an allegory for us finding where we fit in the universe of tech YouTube whatever

5 Likes

Just one remark, I'd advise against adding storage per shelf to avoid introducing a SPOF (shelf backplane) even when it would likely be recoverable. I'd put 8 shelves and do raidz2 across them or something like that.

If you don't need all of it now you could configure backup or archive storage as well. What's your strategy there?

For some reason this reminded me of the pre-load server(s) that they have at Intel, which was one of the very few things that was neat about working in that type of corporate environment. In the test labs, they have network drops that allowed engineers to connect whatever test systems they were working on and then select from any number of OS installs. The installations were automated and complete with all applications required for whatever testing was being performed. You could even select a custom set of applications, etc to be installed automatically for your specific setup. That would be something fun to build up in the office or at home :D

Is this supposed to be making fun of Pistol?

Because if it is, thats hilarious... otherwise, I'm just kinda confused at the cuckery...