Level1: 172tb+ Storage Server | Level One Techs

Good old NetApp shelves...

still there, just in the back now ;)
Needed a "B" set for linux videos anyway.

4 Likes

Great video, this is real infotainment.
@wendell, @ryan, @kreestuh
Keeping the set up realistic and in context of your own needs makes it easy to understand and digest
( like ryan ??? )

ps, after 15 years of marriage i can tell you: buying gifts increases the survival rate when dealing with the female part of our species

+50 Charisma for 24 hours. :)

Great video.

This was the most interesting video (at least for me) since L1 started. It was the right amount of information fit in the right video length with the right amount of humor and jokes. Excellent job.

classic awesome :)

After reading article that comes with this video, @wendell, @ryan i have a few questions about the set up, how did you route the electricity to power this?. do you use a ups, how do you stop the hole thing from dying in case of a power drop, - surge and things like that?

I saw it too. I hope things get less messy than the last time he blinked like that.

hahaha if things are ever that messy again, I'm jumping out the window. we thought it would be pretty cute.

6 Likes

every device has redundant power supplies. two independent APC 1400s can support the whole operation for a few minutes -- long enough to shut down.
I have some huge rackmount APC UPSs but it isn't needed. At only 1800 watts one 20 amp single pole circuit runs it fine.

3 Likes

Interesting, looking forward to seeing more.

It did look like the dell server(the google box) was showing the error light on its front panel. I'm guessing its internal raid battery was dead from age?

By device do you mean by controller or by rack?

the four disk shelves have two power supplies each, the dell/google server also has two power supplies. One of the two power supplies from each device goes into an independent UPS. Loss of one UPS doesn't mean loss of any device with this setup.
If really wanted to dot my I and cross my T, I would make sure each UPS is powered from two separate phases of 110v from the electrical transformer outside. This reduces the load factor and balances the load from the power company, which reduces the electrical bill in the sense that the power company bills you for the most usage on your two phases of 110 (round here anyway). That's for 220v providers. If you've got 3-phase it's a different situation but only thing on 3-phase round here are typically huge heating/air units.

1 Like

Interesting video. I like the humor and the topic.

I would really like to see a guide or at least an outline of a similar type system but scaled down by about an order of magnitude. Probably a single box with 4 or so disks to start, but that could scale to a dozen or so as storage needs increase. I want the data resiliancy and drive failure protection though.

Maybe there is a forum thread already that someone could point me to?

I'm sending you a parachute, you'll never know when you might need it!

Thanks for the details and fast answers.
around here ,the netherlands and outside the build up area (just over 1.5 km) i'm screwed i guess. i would have to pay for a 3 phase cable to be run to my house
i have to size down my mighty plans for a home network + server :(

two phase works fine with this setup? 20 amp breaker? Even single phase is fine.

I thought this was an offline backup for your videos just in case Youtube goes rouge on you.

I'm pretty sure that several members here have backups of the videos in the highest quality that was uploaded to YT. I for instance downloaded all the videos from the Linux channel the day SHTF

A common house in this area gets 16 amps trough the breaker box and a 25 amp main breaker for the entire house witch is normally sealed by the power company
if you want more start a company and get 3 phase power

can you create a similar or smaller set up on 16 amps
i like to know because i am starting to run out of (save, stable) storage now that both my kids started to be creative with digital camera's