Level 1 techs broken on brave browser

I switched to using brave browser due to its privacy centric design. Unfortunately, level 1 techs forum doesn t show up. The entire page is blank. I dont know if this is because of third party scripts or cookie tracking (which are disabled in brave). Obviously i am posting this on something else (chrome) . But I am really liking brave.

sounds like you have javascript disabled alltogether since we don’t have third party scripts or cookie tracking…

1 Like

Mm X doubt. You guys are using Gstatic.

Website works fine on my Brave, but I don’t have any plugins installed there at all atm.

look closer, that’s a font, and won’t block page rendering. font != third party script or cookie.

3 Likes

Oh no I didn’t mean that it would prevent loading it, just that I disagreed that you don’t have any third party tracking here. Downloading those fonts would still leave a log on google’s server somewhere.

:gigathink: :man_shrugging: #WorksOnMyMachine

3 Likes

external-content.duckduckgo.com

You’re not wrong, but “using third party resources” is a very, very different thing than “not having third party tracking”.

If you want to De-Google, that’s perfectly fine, but setting network ingress rules is your responsibility. Also much faster than sending requests to every site owner on the internet to update their themes.

I’d recommed blocking domains (including gstatic) you don’t want to visit via Pihole. This video is about running it on Synology, but it can be run on anything with Bash (like a docker/lxc container or virtual machine). This protects from that network-wide, on all of your devices, regardless of browser.

:gigathink: :man_shrugging: #WorksOnMyMachine

[Bug marked as closed] :laughing:

5 Likes

I don’t see how it’s “very, very different”. They get all information needed for tracking. Ok sure they won’t get more detailed tracking that they could with Javascript script.

We wouldn’t need to use Pi-hole and bunch of plugins if website owners made sure their website didn’t hand over user information to third party. Yeah, this forum and website is doing better than most other websites though.

1 Like

Not saying you’re wrong (I also block the various domains used by Google gstatic, doubleclick etc) , just saying it’s not really on topic for this thread. (I also detail threads terribly)

1 Like

If you are concerned that you are being tracked via downloading web fonts from CDN’s then you should probably not use the internet at all. Not trying to be snarky; just honest.

To the topic at hand, I also use the Brave browser and it works just fine (current latest).

OP’s problem is on his machine, p[probably with a setting. If they can’t figure it out then should revert Brave to stock settings and disable any plugins/extensions. If it still doesn’t work then I’d be surprised but that would provide a better base to troubleshoot from.

Javascript is needed for the site to work since its build with EmberJS.

2 Likes

Or website owners could stop using those CDNs whenever possible. There is a great addon… and I apologize for further going off-topic, but it seemed relevant to this.

https://decentraleyes.org/ It basically emulates lots of CDNs on your browser.

1 Like

Discussing the efficacy of CDNs would make a good topic.

i did reset brave settings and now its fine. i really dont know what the issue was - javascript was not disabled. it might have been the font thing because the background rendered fine- just no content. anyway now everything is back to ‘normal’.

1 Like

btw way, decentraleyes seems not to have an extension for brave.

Not downloading fonts doesn’t block rendering the page entirely, if anything it would stop fonts from rendering. But even that just falls back to a system default.

Also disabling JavaScript does not block Discourse from rendering either, it has a JavaScript-less mode for crawlers and such.

Use the Chrome version… why would there be a “Brave” version in the first place?

Brave uses the chrome/chromium store, so should be the same version?

Unless the Brave team are able to unlist/block some they seem incompatible perhaps?

aPropos of this

The level1 youtube pointed this out. A simple fav-icon can be used to make a supercookie. And it bypasses incognito mode.

And that is relevant to this topic how? Also

2 Likes