Level 1 Philosophicum [topic proposals and polls]

I am not sure if the following topic proposal fits the format, but this is why we have a vote and I tried to think of something that is a bit closer to other content on the forum. I am also subject to the rules. If you guys think it does not fit, it won’t go on the poll. Also, @BookrV I think we should add the topics to the next poll that did not make it the last time.

[Question/Topic Proposal]

What are the inherent benefits and drawbacks of any "open source model" compared to any "closed source model"?

Definitions of terms for the context of the discussion:

• inherent:
    inbuilt on a fundamental level; The point is not to discuss specific open source projects and why they are good or bad, but the effects of the property that source code is available and lawfully modifyable.
  • open source model:
    Any content (software, hardware, text …) that is published/ distributed in a way where the source code or other means of building the final piece of content either is available or can be accessed on request and be legally modified and redistributed.
  • closed source model:

I am thinking about overall benefits for humanity, maybe rate of progress, competitive viability, …

3 Likes

Poll for the Philosophicum topic for February

• What is meaning and how do we incorporate it in life?
    • What is a good working definition for life? - in this context: when did life begin?
    • Is “Okhams razor” a good heuristic in the scientific process?
    • What is “real” and how to deal with the concept of “reality”?
    • What are the inherent benefits and drawbacks of any “open source model” compared to any “closed source model”?

0 voters

We have a draw, so I’ll make a poll to break it, until tomorrow.

• What is a good working definition for life? - in this context: when did life begin?
  • What are the inherent benefits and drawbacks of any “open source model” compared to any “closed source model”?

0 voters

2 Likes