Return to Level1Techs.com

Level 1 Gains

New Plan!!!

I started a whole food/plant based diet one week ago. That means almost zero meat/dairy/egg.

I had 3 oz. of turkey liver 6 days ago (like 3000% the daily B12 required), about 1 oz of feta cheese and a little bit of bread (about 500 calories worth). This was because of the Canadian Thanksgiving last week.

I feel good (I felt good before though), that is a good sign. I worked out like I would normally. I enjoy the foods I eat. I do miss chocolate.

I am over eating a little. I am consuming about 2500 cal. per day and have gained a pound or two. I want to make sure I get the nutrients I need.

My farts have become super charged. They move so fast they feel cold. Farts that remove heat from my body =P

I’m looking for a PPL 6 day split. Trying to get on a more consistent routine. Anyone have any suggestions? I’m thinking something like this:

Push

• Flat Bench
  • Incline Bench
  • Decline Bench
  • Triceps overhead extension
  • Skull Crushers
  • Shrugs
  • Arnold press

Pull

• Deadlift
  • Cable Row
  • Wide Lat Pulldown
  • Preacher Dumbbell Curl
  • Hammer Curl

Legs

• Squats
  • Leg Press
  • Leg extensions
  • Leg Curls
  • Calf Raises
  • Lunges

I feel like I’m missing Cable Crossovers and some shoulder work. Arnold presses don’t fully hit shoulders. :confused:

Did a 500 yard freestyle swim- forgot how good the swim high feels- so much easier to get than the running high IMO. Was feeling really good for pretty much the entire day (morning swim)

2 Likes

One month without any animal products or processed foods (bread, pasta, etc…). I still feel good. I am eating a ton (500g-600g daily) of lentils for protein.

At first I gained a few pounds, but I have settled down to 148LBS while eating 2500-2750 calories per day. The hard part for me is knowing what nutrients are being absorbed properly, and what I need to supplement. For now I am just taking a daily Vitamin D… but that is for the winter, not the diet.

Soy milk fortified with B12 is the only processed type food I consume. I have to figure out my calcium and my B12. I might eat liver once a week, or clam meat, for B12. I get calcium form some greens, sesame seeds and chia seeds… but again… I don’t know if it being absorbed properly. I might start a supplement of calcium (50% DV).

I increased my weights and added a deadlift today: I did 180LBS, 8 reps-2 sets. I want to warm up to heavier weights slowly.

I added 30LBS to my stair climbing, 1800 steps/week (I tell myself it is the CN Tower that I climb).

@sgtawesomesauce and @AdminDev can feel free to criticize this :laughing: but I think any beginner can handle this. Its kicking my ass at half the weight I used to focus on because I have not done so in like 6 months. It’s prolly not the best as it’s a lot and unfocused. In any case I should move to something more focused

I used this primarily for building form. If you’ve never done anything it’s more helpful to practice good form first and learn everything then focus. But yeah I should focus more.

Looks like a whole lot of nothing, imo.

That’s too many exercises and too little volume for a beginner. Beginners should focus on 3 to 5 exercise and target 5 to 8 reps, whatever gets positive muscle failure.

Diet is vastly more important than 500 exercises and 15 reps each.

3 Likes

This is true . I definitely have a healthy diet. Kind of what makes or breaks you health wise in general.

Idk as a beginner if I did focus I’d just go to failure and it sucked in terms of recovery time. That’s why I recommended the whole ton of nothing. More of a full body than a focus. Me personally ive been doing this for 4 weeks and am starting to focus more

Stop eating pizza and drinking so much beer people :joy:

I had 3 doughnuts today. But played one hell of a guitar solo.

Dude sugar is SOOO bad for your health. High protein and high fat high nutrient food is the way. Fuck carbs

1 Like

I haven’t had doughnuts in several years.

I am taking suggestions for focusing by the way so I’m all ears. Preferably 3 days a week.

Donuts are nasty dude.

That’s not how muscle mass and strength work.

All-Pro’s Beginner Routine
Rippetoe’s Starting Strength
Madcow 5x5

1 Like

Furiously googling. Thank you.

Also Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1

2 Likes

These are all getting bookmarked. :slight_smile:

Stronglifts 5x5

Or look up any push pull legs split on bodybuilding.com

1 Like

Found a Jiu Jitsu gym that’s five miles from the house. Has stellar reviews. They give experienced practitioners a trial period as well as people with no experience (you get a month free if you have 0 experience!).

Best part of all is they have a 6:00 AM class Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Plus open mat days.

I’ve had a serious itch lately. I’ve missed grappling, training, two-a-days, etc.

Thinking about entering NAGA next year.

1 Like

@Heimdallr I don’t know what your goals are, but if you want to get from beginner to “advanced” then All-Pro will get you there the safest and steadiest.

There is no deload period due to the medium and light days during the week. Plus, and I can’t remember the specifics, but the saying goes that if you increase your workload by one rep you’re increasing your max by a pound? Something like that. It’s broscience but it’s somewhat of an accurate measurement.

You increase your weight 10% every five weeks. The reps increase by one every week until you pass your test at 12 reps. Then you reset to 8 reps and increase the weight.

That routine will blast every muscle in your body, including your core and posterior chain. Plus it gives you four days a week to train flexibility, endurance, power, speed, sports, etc.

1 Like

Hey I’ll get back to you and @sgtawesomesauce. I’m hiking My Thursten (the most prominent peak near Hill Air Force Base 12k ft). Will reply this evening if I’m not to beat. Should have some good birds eye of the entire installation.

1 Like