Let's talk cyberpunk or science fiction

I skimmed a bit through an article on arstechnica earlier today. It was an interview with Cory Doctorow.
I'd never really paid much attention to him, but I have read the name a few time. The concept for his new book sounds pretty cool

"Cory Doctorow's new book Walkaway centers on the rise of a counterculture built on open-source technology that fabricates nearly everything from the "feedstock" provided by the refuse and wreckage of a world ravaged by climate change and economic ruin."

Remind me in a week or so after I unpack my books

1 Like

Dude, no doubt.

Pournell's daughter is a pretty good author too.

1 Like

2 Likes

Forgot what an effect the cold war had on sci-fi
David Drake and his Hammer's Slammers series

Beserker was a great concept but writing and story lines I thought could have been better.
Where the death star concept came from I think

2 Likes

Was looking for her just now and ran into some interesting tech stuff I never knew:
"Pournelle wrote the "Chaos Manor" column in BYTE. In it Pournelle described his experiences with computer hardware and software, some purchased and some sent by vendors for review, at his home office. Because Pournelle was then, according to the magazine, "virtually BYTE's only writer who was a mere user—he didn't create compilers and computers, he merely used them""
"He introduced to readers "my friend Ezekiel, who happens to be a Cromemco Z-2 with iCom 8-inch soft-sectored floppy disk drives"; he also owned a TRS-80 Model I, and the first subject discussed in the column was an add-on that permitted it to use the same data and CP/M applications as the Cromemco.[25] The next column appeared in December 1980 with the subtitle "BASIC, Computer Languages, and Computer Adventures""

Still can't find daughters book but found out she is an archaeologist, which is soo cool. Wounder what period she specializes in.

2 Likes

ohhh

2 Likes

Got back into Startopia

love this game, need more like it

1 Like
1 Like

rewatched Harrison Bergeron

Like the short story more

1 Like

I like that short story. It was a funny satire on what everyone in America thought of communism.

More like what a growing number of people would like the future to be.

May you elaborate on that?

The small but growing number of people that want equity over equality. Or should I say, the twisting of those words to mean the stifling of others.

1 Like

the future

or

5 Likes

Finished that book BTW, was amazing... When is the movie coming out?

1 Like

I wish the movie would come out, haven't seen good sci-fi since the cylons nuked Caprica.

1 Like

That was legit fucking scary...

1 Like

So what does one do for credit after selecting a life plan? Do you temporarily suspend cognitive function and devote your "CPU time" to crypto currency mining for 8 hours a day?

1 Like