Lets talk about OCing

Hey all,

It is time for me to begin learning in-depth about overclocking in general. So I can apply it to CPU and GPU and possibly ram.

I know what over clocking is, and I can do it by adjusting the multiplier and then getting stability thru voltage.

But I would like to begin to dive deeper into it, as I have read several sources and they conflict with each other, some say to adjust cpu strap as well as multiplier and other sources say dont F with cpu strap as it messes with your mobo operations.

well how does it mess with mobo operations? why? dangers? advantages? ect. this is the type of knowledge i would like to get into.

You do not have to answer the above as of yet. I want to start simple.

Here is my platform, 3930k, sabertooth x79, gskill ripjawz z at 1600.

for my first question,

is the turbo boost on cpus locked?

I love the turbo boost idea, when i am just playing games, doing surfing or nothing, i let the processor float from 1200 to 3800. its normal turbo boost range.

when i work, i go in and adjust to my work profile at 4.2g. all cores synced and of course it stays at 4200, no fluctuations.

I would love to know if there is a way to adjust the turbo boost so my processor can float from 1200 to 4200. call me lazy but hey it saves time.

so that is my first question, much like gpu overclocking, where you allow the card to take more when it needs it.

Thanks for reading and sharing your knowledge.

Looking forward to a long conversation with you all.

ESR.

Try this link.  That should give you a really good idea of what you're dealing with.  You might also want to check over on the Asus ROG forums.  While you dont have a ROG motherboard, the sabertooth motherboards overclock in much the same way.  Other than that I cant really help, I've never overclocked on an Intel system, so you'll have to hope someone else in the forum picks up on this.

Now, as for strap settings, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, this changes not only CPU speed but also your memory speeds because it is part of both speeds.

CPU freq= CPU multiplier x BLCK x Strap

Memory feq= Memory multiplier x BLCK x Strap

so that would be why you want to stay away from the Strap, because then you also have to worry about your memory speeds, etc.  It is explained a lot better in the guide I linked.

As for your lead in to overclocking the rest of your system, the GPU is all software based.  Most people use a program called MSI afterburner.  Even though MSI makes it it works with any card.  Thats about all I can help you with there without knowing what kind of GPU you have.  I really wouldn't recommend overclocking your RAM unless you're doing RAM intensive work.  However, if you're dead set on doing it it's also mentioned in the guide I linked.  Keep in mind though that the higher you overclock your RAM the harder it will be to get the CPU stable and vice versa.

thanks you much drugs.

its funny how much a person can learn in the span of 6 days from original post to your reply.

i have grown leaps and bounds in the understanding of Oc my chip. I am not a professional but i know so much more. any who i wanted to tkae the time to thank you for your input and every bit of information is valuable.

ESR

GPU overclocking can also be set at a low level by editing the vBIOS.

You can set the different power phases and voltages that correspond with them. If/When you install that GPU in any computer it will hold that overclock as it is the standard operating frequency as set by the vBIOS.

I've found it to be more stable on most Radeon cards to do this instead of just force the clock states with Afterburner or GPUTweak at Windows startup. Have yet to try anything rash with the GeForce cards... They all feel so fragile to me when I try overclocking them.

Is it ok to overclock only using the multiplier. I OC my 8350 to 4.7 Ghz on multi only(23.5). Should I play with the FSB?

fsb gives better per core performance. But from what I've read OCing via multiplier doesn't stress the cpu so much,heat wise if I recall,someone correct me if I'm wrong. I might be