Let's Talk About Music Players

Windows - Foobar2000
Android - n7 player

Just tried this out, looks nice but unfortunately it doesnā€™t support Album artist :frowning: Or at least I canā€™t find it.

Hmmā€¦ I am sure there was an option for this. It was one of the music players that I used before.

Currently I am almost exclusively Spotify. I never though I would be so dependent on it when I first started using it, but it is just so damn convenient.

I do have a pretty large (mp3) music collection I accumulated over the last decade or so. In the early days (on Windows) it was Winamp, then a couple weird ones (Songbird, something else), then Foobar, then maybe VLC. VLC was in there pretty much the entire time as a general media player. Iā€™ve only been using Linux (exclusively) for the past three years, so mostly itā€™s been Spotify with that.

Portable music started with a portable CD player, then an original ipod nano, then some creative thing, then a Cowon D2, then a Cowon S9, then I got a Motorola Photon Q android phone as a dedicated music player. I used Poweramp with that. Then Spotify happened and I use that on my primary phone.

At the back of my mind I keep thinking how I would like to drop Spotify and do my own streaming music sort of thing. Not sure.

Windows: MediaMonkey
Android: Google Play Music (I only play local music)

It became too pushy trying to sell me itā€™s ā€œserviceā€

After some test drives I settled on Black Player EX (paid version) for Android.

Itā€™s really rare that the app try to push me that. Also, itā€™s pretty useful when you toggle the ā€œDownloaded onlyā€ to donā€™t have to deal with that.

2 Likes

Not that it is super easy, but there is built init the app tagging for all of that. Not great to type it on a phone, but if you eddit one and see when changes on the information when viewed on a PC and make those changes to the file so the tags are read correctly.

I have never had a problem with it.

My files are already tagged with Album Artist information, but very few players seem to read them. Most players rely on Androids media storage library which doesnā€™t do Album Artist for whatever reason. For now Iā€™m using Foobar2000 for mobile and it works well, though removing from and adding to current playlist isnā€™t really a thing in Foobar.

1 Like

Winamp on Windows and Audacious on Linux. Both work pretty well for my use case. I usually just run them in the background and control playback through keyboard shortcuts.

Winamp to this day. On the go I use Fiio X5 2nd Gen

Depends on the mood and how bored I am.

Windows:
Foobar2000
XMPlay

Linux:
Clementine
XMMS

I really liked Amarokā€¦ before they ruined it.

My main requirement is that it needs a DB backend that is fast and responsive. Most players get too large to handle the quantity of titles I have.

For pure music file playing I use J.Riverā€™s Media Jukebox. This oneā€™s a freebee. For radio streaming I use RadioSure.

A strategic mistake. Now you wonā€™t be able to leave Spotify without losing ALL of your music.

Depends on what iĀ“m doing.

Windows:
Virtual DJ
Winamp; rarelly use it, still looking for replacement.

Linux:
Clementine.

Not been on Windows at all for about 3-4 years, but still got the same Foobar on Linux I had for about 8 years. Not used as a player now, mostly tagging and other tools

Now: Deadbeef for daily use, QMMP ( winamp-style small player for radio stream) & IDJC for sharing the best music

I like to use VLC and Window Media Player

Foobar2000 of course. Once you figure out the layout manager, it works great.

Are you using the Default UI or ColumnUI? I find ColumnUI way better once you get it set up, but using the live editing with it is a pain in the rear, better off setting it up in the configuration screen.

I also saw foo_title which seems to be a complete UI replacement, havenā€™t tried it though (the skins are too shiny and impractical imo).

Iā€™m just using the one that foobar2k comes with. The only addon I deem a necessity is the waveform seekbar.