Let's Talk About Cars... And Tesla

Ok, you’re completely misinterpreting this. These are all my personal feelings about what I want/need. Currently I drive about 25 miles to work. I am not telling you what you need to do. I don’t care what you do. I am struggling finding a balance between getting a ICE which has a ton of good things about it, except that it runs on combustion; and getting an EV whose only good thing is that it doesn’t run on combustion. All EVs suck from a consumer perspective because they follow the new-car trend of being a smart car.

I think you’ll like the Hyundai Kona. I found that it has only very rudimentary “Smart features” and even then, pretty much just EV charging management and carplay stuff…

1 Like

I think we were agreeing on this point and didn’t know it. The price out the door for an EV is much higher than paying for gas like once a week.
I’m driving an hybrid currently and it gets stupid MPG, you can find one decently new for cheap and they require less of everything than a gas car needs. If you ever think about getting another car, for now, I think hybrid is the way to go.

I guess the dopamine of the exercise makes it worth riding anyway, even if you’ve had an accident.
I hope your elbow recovered completly! Joints injuries are very tricky to deal with.
In my head I wanted to make my own ebike as a weekend project, but it’s not easy to get parts for it where I live, especially realible 18650 cells. If you can get your hands on parts maybe you can make your own too since you already have a bike. And for that you’re gonna need some protection beyond pads because you can keep 35mph no problem with one of those.

1 Like

Dude so I tried both

Android auto is bad at best

Apple car play just fricken sucks. What the heck happened there?

This trend I’m sorry to break to everyone who doesn’t like it seems very much here to stay

I wasn’t so much getting at that as much as I was trying to make a statement about the bike baseline. I’ve tried that once 20 miles on a bike sucks.

As for an EV. I know you hate combustion but it is the bread and butter rn still. Hate to suggest this but you could role a Prius. They are tried and tested

Hyundai Kona as sarge pointed out is pretty minimalist.

Ehh it’s trying to implement a generic enough interface for a variety of control surfaces on top of a very specialized ui.

There’s a lot to unpack here. Public/Mass transit is an urban solution. As soon as distance is involved it goes out the window both in convienence and timeliness. Ironically it’s the Mass part that is the huge sticking point. People don’t want to share. It’s seen as a lessor way to travel. As soon as it is economically practical, people get individual transport. Tesla is an outlier. As a first mover they are trying to reinvent the wheel. That means going against the flow when it comes to interfaces and design language. Get in a Tesla and it screams “we’re not like any other car!”. Of course that means they other companies will try to copy to their detriment. It’s still early days. As more EV’s show up the designs will start going towards the mainstream and you’ll get better ergo in the cabin. You should look at all the hybrids out there. Better fits your need and a huge step up from the Compass. That thing would leave a bad taste in anyone’s mouth! I think that you just haven’t found the right vehicle for yourself.