Let's ideate on making a Level1 UPS that doesn't suck

@wendell
https://youtu.be/99oGcq4-t-4
Its an engineering explained video. Not sure why it didnt pull the details.
Not sure if this is marketing fluff or not but the idea seems sound.
Spiral battery

Or we can go with a salt water battery. I just heard of such a thing right now.

Or this battery. https://www.saftbatteries.com/products-solutions/products/high-power-lithium-battery-box

It’s used in the military.

Tesla (And I would assume others) use a single wire fuse on each cell. Low cost way to basically disconnect a cell if it dies or under-performs.

Just wanted to comment to express interest, though, I admit that I don’t have any experience of relevance here. If you need a backer, tester, etc, I’ll be here.

3 Likes

Eric has attracted some serious talent inc. the attention of an OEM that would probably shoulder the burden of regulatory compliance maybe so this could be huge.

Where my head is at right now is a circuit that sits between lead acid cells and an off the shelf ups that bleeds off excess charge as heat hopefully preserving the cells longer. It might necessitate a small supercap to handle a fast cutover when there is an outage though.

They are doing a ground up design essentially.

4 Likes

That’s good. Whenever ESR talks, people listen.

I do hope that we get somewhere with this, and I’d love to see the L1T brand associated with it.

You should have seen the smile on my face when I saw the L1T KVM appear on a LTT video.

It did? Lulz

January, I think it was, he did a video doing a single PC streaming rig with some ridiculous intel CPU.

timestamped: 4:40

EDIT: 4:55 is the real spotlight.

He mentions it somewhere in there, but I didn’t want to listen to his voice for 8 minutes.

4 Likes

Lulz I had no idea cool cool

3 Likes

when things you made for your self get put into the spotlight thats how you know you did it right.

3 Likes

Everytime I see this thread, I wonder what problem you want to solve.

UPSs are a dime a dozen. If you want a great quality one, you need to pay for it. Otherwise you get cheap batteries and low quality electronics.

Do you want:
Advanced super batteries, so new they haven’t made their way into UPS market yet? Snake oil?
Easily replaceable batteries?
Super long life batteries?
Efficient electronics, outputs more power than it takes in? (Not sure, maybe power factor manipulation)
Frequency/voltage conversion?
Pure sine wave output for sensitive systems? (Need a big ass motor/generator usually)
Hacked together parts that provide most of above?

I tend to think a modular UPS you can assemble from separate parts to suit your needs would be the go.
You have a battery charger + battery pack, input rectfier + EMI filter and output inverter. If you want a bypass relay, this could be trickier.

If your inverter is not too fussy on the input voltage, you can run it from a variety of batteries. It would be the job of the charger for the battery pack to look after them, cell balance, trickle charge or what ever.

Google search 2.5kw inverter, alibaba has plenty of questionable quality, mostly for solar systems.