Let's fix Arch!

My 8350 at 4.00 GHz and Nitro+ RX 580 8GB can do anything you hear me??!!

ANYTHING

6 Likes

Except beat Intel/Nvidia :wink:

Just kidding. I miss Bulldozer.

1 Like

Antergos is, I think, fine.

1 Like

Manjaro you say? I’m in

1 Like

the installer has a proprietary option, do that, then pick nvidia. One of those two options always works for me for a gui.

When I did the RX590 video I was kinda mocking the manjaro guys because… the RTX2060 did not work with the manjaro installer… but they did fix the installer in < 3 weeks so way better than updating the ubuntu installer… I guess. Less testing presumably.

But one of those two boot options in manjaro almost always works. very high % of the time compared with most other distro.s

nomodeset doesn’t work on a lot of distros anymore :frowning:

2 Likes

I’m gonna rebuild the antergos installer iso with archzfs and see if that fixes the antergos problems.

1 Like

Bah! That used to save me on older kernels or weird Nvidia issues lol.

Thanks for the tips! I will give this a go and see what happens cap’n.

Maybe you have a fan on the dev side :grin:

1 Like

Wait, archzfs will not fix the problem. I’m going to talk in irc to see if I can get someone to change a 2 to a 3 in the repo.

1 Like

I can look into patching the installer myself. Shouldn’t be to bad. I’ll bring it up on their forums later today too once I think I have a solution. They’re rather vocal there

1 Like

Do you use Arch (btw) ?

1 Like

Used to use it, but I ended up migrating to Manjaro after a 4 year detour of OpenSuSE. I found that with how often I install a distro, and with my focus on projects leaning less and less to Linux itself and more towards other things it just wasn’t viable to spend time maintaining a full on Arch install. And Manjaro’s community edition of Cinnamon kicks ass…

On a side note, it is very very weird that Manjaro includes the DKMS version of ZFS in their packages since it isn’t even an option during installation. Looks like they gave the idea a thought and abandoned it: https://gitlab.manjaro.org/packages/extra/zfs-dkms

2 Likes

They bumped the package. I’m testing an install now.

2 Likes

make it xfs and I’m on board otherwise herasy

1 Like

Lip Quiver Intensifies

I thought … You used Debian? :cry:

Debian on my desktop :slight_smile:

1 Like

not believing in the holiest of filesystems.

I summon @cekim

Don’t go too far off topic, though :wink:

1 Like

What is this, pokemon?

/s

In all seriousness this sounds like something I might actually use. I wish I was smart enough to help.

3 Likes

As it would turn out someone opened an issue 3 years back on GitHub for Calamares, and the developer wanted a hands off approach due to licensing issues between Linux and ZFS. As it would appear, this hasn’t been picked back up even with the success of ZFS on Ubuntu lately. It looks like the core being used also has limitations that would have to be expanded upon to add support. I can try my best, but it almost sounds easier (relatively) to package Manjaro with Ubiquity… I know how bad that comes across though.

I’ll take a closer look myself to see what exactly needs to be done

1 Like

Why would it need to? These are non-persistent. No loss to have them be whatever FS they want to be…

3 Likes