Let's Build a CPU

Hey I started a series on my blog about making a simple 8-Bit CPU. It's nothing fancy, really simple, unoptimized dumb CPU for sake of learning. I am no electrical engineer, I am just a self-taught dude who has programming as a hobby and wanted to dive deeper into abstractions.

So here it is, I am adding new parts here as I write them:

I welcome any and all critique and feedback, as I can be hella wrong about everything for sure.

P.S. I am not sure if it's a good ethics to post links to (especeally) own blog, I don't want it to seem like PR. If you don't like this I'll gladly remove this (if I can).

EDITs:

• 2017-03-14: Added part 2
  • 2017-03-23: Added part 3
  • 2017-05-07: Added part 4
  • 2017-05-22: Added part 5
26 Likes

I am expecting great things out of you mr.geekdima.

8 Likes

Imagine Logisim as a simulation game. Dat multiplayer. CPU architect deathmatch.

3 Likes

As a little side project it could be fun for the readers to see an estimate of how big a hand made version of the CPU would be. Just an idea.

2 Likes

Great stuff here.

2 Likes

We need a game where each player is a CPU core. And we need to do some computation without constantly invaliding each others' caches.

3 Likes

There are a few IRL projects were people actually solder CPUs from of the shelf parts.

I.E.

I would love to implement a CPU on FPGA in future though.

5 Likes

Hello again people! Another part is out! This time: NAND Logic and Addition!

Check it out here: Let's Make a CPU: Part 2 - NAND Logic and Addition

3 Likes
6 Likes

That was a magnificent explanation. I'll be checking this thread often.

1 Like

For even more fun, limit yourself to 1950's technology and see if you could survive time travel with a broken time machine :)

2 Likes

How about retro-futurism technology? Fallout style. :D

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Sorry for the delay, I rewritten this part a bunch of times. Anyways Here it is:

3 Likes

There is the Megaprocessor. Very cool room sized CPU.

3 Likes

Yeah I saw that projects. It's simply amazing. I'd love to do actual CPU from discrete parts, but I am bit broke atm, and not good with EE. I hope one day I can learn enough about EE to make it though.

Hey! Guess who's not dead, yet!

New part is out: finishing the ALU.

Sorry for such a long delay, life happened. More in the ending of the part 4.

3 Likes

Interesting, wish I had seen some of these before taking my comp org class. would have given me a base line understanding of the stuff going in.

Yo, sorry for the the wait again. New part coming at ya very soon. I am done with the schematics, just need to write the actual blog post.

By the end of it we'll have 2/3 of the CPU done.

Teaser/Spoiler:

3 Likes

New part is out, cut it a bit, coz it was getting long and I was getting tired:

Really sorry for delays lately, honestly it's mostly due to procrastination. And feeling like shit played its part as well I guess.

2 Likes