Lenovo ThinkPad E585 - Ryzen 2500U/Vega 8 - Review, Impressions, Linux, etc

Yea. In all honesty, it looks nice though. I have no real complaints about the display for daily use (at least for someone who doesn’t need high color accuracy). According to a reddit user, the panel can be upgraded. But I think he got the model number wrong because I can’t find the NV156FHM-F61 he mentioned.

1 Like

Step 2

• eGPU

• :joystick::monkey:

Lowest EU price I could find

659.99 €
“645.00 + Delivery 14.99”
https://www.notebook.de/lenovo-thinkpad-e585-amd-ryzen-5-2500u-200ghz-win10-p-123085

Fuckery bonus
My dear Finnish Multitronic fucktards are asking 1143.80 € + shipping :joy:

I just saw your edit. NVMe SSD is lenovo brand. Model LENSE20256GMSP34MEAT2TA

I’ll update my main post with SSD benchmark in a bit, check back later

1 Like

There is the NV156FHM-n61 that has 71% color gamut. Came out in 2016

Just googling this really quick, it appears that this nvme drive was in the X1 Carbon gen 5. It’s pretty cool that you have something that is in one of their top of the line models.

hey welcome to the ThinkPad E5-club have the near exact laptop(E570) as yours only with a intel + nvidia.

I found Tlp to be super helpful for getting through until the end of day.

Same thing happened to me with the middle scroll button, when I had the E570 for the first couple of months the button wouldn’t work. A month later some update fixed the driver and perfect middle scrolling.

45Wh battery.
That is sad.

What is so hard about copying the one thing apple gets right: 90Wh battery?
The case even looks like someone planned to get at lest 60Wh in there, but no! 45 shall be enough to the peasants.

3 Likes

Its one of the easiest areas to cut costs.

Especially on the ‘lesser’ product lines where 4 hours is ‘acceptable’.

Seems that the NVMe is fixed differently than in the E485. Can I get a photo of the bottom cover?

And you have also the folded ESD BAG in the 2.5" slot. Any idea why it is there?

The battery time after unplugging is not very indicative, the power consumption changes a lot. If you have the “Windows Installer Modules Worker” running in the background, it will suck your battery empty.

I was wondering what that bag thingy was.

At first I thought it was a wallet.

It’s not an ESD bag, it’s some kind of electrical shielding. It’s just a flat piece of metallic material with 4 holes and perforated edges with adhesive. I think it’s meant to wrap around the bottom and sides of the SSD during installation. I didn’t use it because I wasn’t sure how it was supposed to be used at first. Looking at it again, I understand now what it was meant for. I was in kind of a rush to get the system finished… if I ever open the laptop up again, I’ll put it on.

Here’s the pic of the back. Not much to it. The whole back cover has to come off to change out any components.

Oh sorry, I wanted a picture from the inside face. In the 485 the NVMe “cover” is attached to the bottom cover.
And regarding the 2.5" slot I think we are talking about different things, I do not mean the dummy, but the silvery folded thing taped to the dummy.

Btw the sticker on top of the battery also contains the S/N. Clearly readable on the photo.

Thanks for the heads up on the s/n … probably no big deal but prefer to crop it out

We were referring to the same thing on the 2.5" slot. The silvery folded thing is the electrical shielding that’s supposed to get fixed to the SSD before installation as I described previously. The decoy SSD I was talking about is underneath the tape and silvery thing

I don’t want to open the laptop back up at the moment, it’s kind of a pain. If I do open it back up I’ll try to get more pictures. There was nothing on the rear side of the back cover though, if that’s what you’re asking. It’s literally just a hunk of plastic with no other function.

I’d recommend using the Ubuntu X PPA, as it gets stable releases. I’ve had a couple updates be broken for me on my Fury cards, nothing Timeshift couldn’t fix, but still something to mention.

P.S. BTW, get Timeshift, it’s saved me countless times. I basically don’t worry about trying out a nightly package, because I know I can revert the system quickly and painlessly, to just before it broke.

I bought a e585 too. I’m using Devuan (Debian fork without systemd) and volume keys work, but bright ones and some others don’t. Any idea for solving that?

lenovo are now making it easier to update the firmware on linux too.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Lenovo-LVFS-Support

The brightness works fine for me. Maybe try updating your kernel? I know on mine, after installing a new kernel (4.18 in my case), after the first reboot the display goes super dim and I have to turn it up. Maybe the brightness just wasn’t working on the 4.15 kernel that shipped with 18.04. I can’t remember if I tested brightness before updating my kernel.

1 Like

Try hitting up the small Linux problem thread. Maybe it’s as easy a fix as editing a file.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, but i used 4.17 (from Devuan testing) and I just compiled 4.18.5. Tried today with evtest and it doesn’t detect that keypresses. I have to investigate about that…

If it works for most people I have to test and look for differences with a Ubuntu Live-USB :slight_smile: