Lenovo E595 Ryzen 3700U Review and Linux

Can it support the Cinebench scores during multiple executions? notebookcheck is reporting that STAPM is lowering the performance on the t495s

Hi OP, do you know if the SSD Bracket and the thermal pad (Part Number: 02DM052 and 02DM186) are necessary to install the NVMe SSD? Link
edit: When I contacted the Lenovo customer service, they informed me that they “recommend to install them when installing a SSD.”

1 Like

Its more than likle un-neccessary.

Thanks for the great review @acedogblast. I was thinking about this laptop for myself and family. Most of the big issues usually come down to older kernel versions and kernel options. So distros with older initial kernels won’t work well.

Mind doing me a solid favor? Would you mind booting a LiveCD of Mint 19.1 and seeing how it fairs?

2 Likes

@JD_Wang, probably depends on your SSD. If your SSD likes to run hot, I would consider it as a way to better dissipate heat in that tight form factor. If you by low heat SSD, not having this probably won’t be an issue.

2 Likes

I just got a Thinkpad T495. Really nice overall but I have two big issues with Linux 5.2.2 / openSUSE Tumbleweed:

• Whenever I am on battery, the boost clocks of the CPU are never being used. This results in my builds running 50% (or even more) slower than when on AC power.
  • Audio input is generating weird crackling noises … I have confirmed it’s caused by software, most likely the snd-hda-intel driver.

Did you have the above two issues?

Have anyone tried Samsung SO-DIMM 32GB, DDR4-2666, CL19-19-19 (M471A4G43MB1-CTD) modules on this laptop? I’m planning 2 modules of those, totalling 64GB.

Thanks

I’ve registered myself only for this topic because I haven’t knonwn this forum until now. Hello all and thanks oo for the review
Now the question : have you seen the idle values in Linux and windows ? Notebookcheck have it for windows but other reviews differs from my models and I want it to know for other people like me

1 Like

I ask because I have an Asus tuf that have r5 3550h and rx560 (599.99 euros) with 8 GB of ram and I have installed manjaro and windows for making tests(if you want I can post it like the op)
The problems is not the performance I think , my tests was focused in battery consumption and other things, windows consumption in idle is 4.8 … 6 W in Linux the idle is 11… The minimum, I don’t know the problem and I don’t know if is only in this ryzen laptop or in all ryzen laptops

2 Likes

Other question is if there is good support for battery thresholds in Linux with Lenovo or not, have you tried or tested it?, In Asus the support is only for windows …

1 Like

What are you referring to in regards to battery thresholds? I don’t have this laptop, but if it’s a software feature, I will most likely be able to help you.

it’s software related, yes, but if there is no driver to do so with asus there is no way to have this function.
the meaning is :
you have a laptop charging until 100 percent, with tmacpi etc in lenovo ( in windows with the asus app) you can change this, make laptop charge until x percent and not more) this helps the battery to have longer life, the app functions in windows but when you boots the function loses until windows is booted again, in linux there is no way for this I think

I mean, in lenovo, in theory, there is that driver, i ask if you have tested it and work correctly

Oh, right. Okay. Dell has something similar. I’ve never investigated it, but I shall! (I’ve got an xps)

Edit: found this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Tp_smapi

Looks like it’s an acpi call on the new laptops.

Tpacpi is the package you want to look at.

EDIT: given that it’s an acpi call, it should just work, if the uefi isn’t broken.

…what is to be exepcted.
But I see a pretty big issue with that System:
The Power Connector is soldered to the Board.
That is a bad design. It should be just sitting there and be connected via a cable - like my old Penom X3 based Sony Vaio Notebook that sadly has a defective Screen (and Keyboard)…

This driver si for Lenovo ThinkPad only

Only one question op( and not only op anybody can answer if he wants ), have you tested the battery duration in Linux or in Windows ?
Can you pls give me the watts used in Linux with" sudo cpupower “(connected to the batter only) when the pc is idle but with screen on, and can you give the info of” cpupower frequency-info "and “lscpu”?
I think the problem of the battery is not problem of Lenovo or the pc, is Linux bad values and work for ryzen mobile because my Asus with 3550h ryzen 5 and and rx560 have 10 hours of battery in Windows and ONLY 5 in Linux because in idle Linux is using 12 W and windows 5… There is a big problem in Linux with ryzen mobile. It is ruining battery’s and laptop usage…

Well then, it appears that there’s nothing out there for other models. I’ll have a look to see what sort of methods there are to do this, and I’ll see if it’s worth it to write a utility.

wait what? You got the laptop to run 11 hours on battery running manjaro? damn boi that’s some good news
I bought a new battery for my 2012 dell inspiron and put my ssd on it to extend battery life and fresh installed manjaro… am waiting for the battery to arrive but those are some really good news

1 Like

@Alberto_Gomez_Marin oh man I’m sorry… you meant 11 W… haha
I misread

1 Like

10 hours on windows 6 aprox in manjaro, these are the numbers

2 Likes