Learning Hadoop, Openstack, and KVM

So after talking to my brother (a sales rep. for Cisco server deployment), he informed me that things are moving towards software and open source for server deployment. He suggested learning software like Hadoop, Openstack, and KVM. I already built a Hadoop system in a vm, and I just don't care for it. I'm thinking on moving towards KVM because I already played around with VSphere. I could also start learning Open Stack since I have three Dell PowerEdge servers that I could Practice with. I'm self taught, and I'm stuck at this fork in the road. I work and go to school full time so I don't have time for both (also I don't see a point in learning both). Any suggestions or personal experience with these programs?

1 Like

Openstack is a beast.
I have spent time in it. Wrote custom scripts to allow "cinder" to handle a different storage backend (Nexenta's ZFS) that wasn't supported. Openstack is like a framework of components that can help manage virtual environments. A lot of the components are dependent on other software as a base like the compute node can use: KVM, LXC, QEMU, VMware ESX/ESXi, Xen, Hyper-V, Docker off of the supported list today, but you could run something completely different, you just have to do the pipework to get it going. This points out the flexibility, and also the amount you have to learn if you want to season yourself with the openstack infrastructures.

I would learn KVM first, get familiar with the command line side of kvm managment, perhaps a web front end to see what it can do, and then figure out how to do it on the command line, that's a good approach sometimes.
If you spend time learning KVM, you will have part of 1 of the three major pieces down that make up the openstack framework (compute node, network, storage).

Hope that gives you a better idea.

P.S. If I were a betting man I would bet on dockers / containers / zones style of visualization... I only think this because of the efficiency aspect, mainframe style, cost per instruction it is cheapest.

Thanks for the advice, relay appreciate it.

So I'v studied KVM for a while and here are my plans. Its taking some time to get used to the command line. Its been about three years since I was seriously into Linux.