Learn from my mistakes

Decided to post about my little fail in hopes that you do not do the same and maybe get a little laugh on this Friday.

The story…

Got a Edgerouter 4 to set up as a OpenVPN client. Not the first time I had set one up, but by no means a pro. I had the guide with the step by step instructions to make sure I didn’t miss anything.

Completed everything and no connection… Tunnel down… Thought to myself well maybe you did miss something or had a typo… Since I had the time I went ahead and restarted from scratch.

Figured I should double check to make sure the firmware was up to date since I didn’t do it the first time. So I swing my way on over to the Ubiquiti site. hunt up the download for my router, found the one with the most recent date, and installed it…

Now after 2 more failed set up my frustration level is ridiculous. So I make the call to my boss to take a look and figure out what I am missing.

After about 10 minutes or so he asks about the firmware I tell him that I had just updated it earlier that day. I show him the file that I used and then goes to the Ubiquiti site, the version that I downloaded that had the most recent date of 3/11/2020 was V1.10.11… The next line below that with the release date of 3/10/2020 was V2.0.8

Grabbed that version, updated and surprise the tunnel works seamlessly…

So remember kids, pay attention to the firmware version otherwise you will want to claw your eyes out when something isn’t working…

3 Likes