Learn Blender with us!

ayy finally movin up in the world

2 Likes

8 Likes

6 Likes

(n)sfm?

1 Like

Any tips and tricks on Blender? I am working on a side project, making a game within Unity (civ-total war mashup, thing) and I need to make good looking models for units, that are low-poly, to not bog down the Renderer.

1 Like

if youā€™re doing realtime stuff, make sure your topo uses tris, and you might want to use an external tool like surface designer to do tekxture work in

1 Like

Itā€™s not real time, per say. I would never be able to compete, or create for that matter, with a battle system similar to Total War. One guy with not a lot of time, not a whole team with years to develop.

Instead, itā€™s a civilization overview style map, with lots of complex internal and external features (including a large amount of system management, if you choose not to automate, of course).

The battles, however, instead of like something like civ, throw you into a turn-based style of battle close to what Sid Meiers Starships does, except on a larger scale.

So the units donā€™t need to be quite as optimized (as instead of 10K there should only like 1-2K)

1 Like

realtime rendering, not combat

game engines use realtime rendering

1 Like

Honestly, I have no idea. Iā€™d assume so? I have never worked on a game until this project, or even c# for that matter, and had to learn unity for it. Itā€™s going 4 - 5 months strong now? Lots of progress and Iā€™m really excited, but as far as things like real-time rendering, Iā€™m completely clueless.

1 Like

it wasnā€™t a question. by definition games have to be rendered at runtime

1 Like

Hm, mk. You asked if I was doing real-time stuff, so I had assumed it was. My bad.

1 Like

I didnā€™t ask, though, I said if you are, it was rhetorical

1 Like

If you have a ton of the exact same item (trees, bushes, platforms, etc.) Copy them with Ctrl+D instead of Shift+D.

Shift D makes a new item entirely with all of the same properties, increasing the information you have to render.

Ctrl D references the original, but doesnā€™t copy it, so it will cut down resources.

5 Likes

Bunch of damn Trekkies in this forum, those LightSaber pics deserve 1,000x more likes :grin:

Without turning into a distrowar flame nonsense, Iā€™d like to know what you guys are running these on and how long it takes to render your stuff.

2 Likes

I gotta say this really took off. @Phantom, youā€™re progress is really impressive.

I got sidetracked with writing scripts for Photoshop (ugh), but the next time I have to reskin a bottle at work, Iā€™ll probably be back in some blender tutorials.

3 Likes

centos, (you canā€™t install BMD or nuke on anything else and expect to get support)

render times are good with stacked rendering on a 6700 and a 1070

2 Likes

Thereā€™s also a snap for blender if you just want to check it out.

2 Likes

thereā€™s also a precompiled tar file, and that option isnā€™t an unholy abortion

1 Like

He talks about it here. He says itā€™s okay coz otherwise youā€™d spend 3x time if not more modelling all the little stuff.

2 Likes

Went for a darker theme on this one. Critiques welcome.

2 Likes