Laptops worth building / repairing?

So I’m looking for a new project laptop that I could get cheap and make really over powered and do something stupid with. My last one was an Asus G50V and I got a quad core Core 2 in it and I think the processor got hotter than the 9800MGS it had. Unsurprisingly that machine died, so now I need a new toy to play with until I blow it up.

I’m between a 4th-5th gen thinkpad, but I’m unsure if any have socketed processors, or trying to get my T420S / L520 fixed. I don’t know what is wrong with the T420S, but the L520 has bad backlight fuses no thanks to me. I could get a new motherboard, but I’m kinda poor atm. I am not sure where to get schematics, but I think its a 2amp fuse and a .5amp fuse that I need to replace. I’m just unsure where on the mobo in total, nor am I sure if my tools are adequate enough.

If anyone knows where I could get a L520 or T420S schematic for cheap, let me know. Should I look for a new complete laptop to upgrade like crazy, or fix the mobo of one of my laptops I kinda want working again anyways?

THX

1 Like

Here is the schematic for the T420s https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6IqcVTk0jpYZ0ZvWVd3T1lFVHc/view

I can source the L520 for around 5 Euros, but IDK what you define as cheap.

I also found this pdf in a thread where people were requesting schematics for L420, maybe this will be of use to you as well?

1 Like

Yeah I found that forum but it looks sketchy as hell to me.

T440P/T550P is the one with the PGA Intel fourth-gen CPUs, as well as Dell E6540/E6440.

1 Like

If you hop onto https://forum.thinkpads.com/ I expect that someone would be happy to post a pic of the fuse in question, which will assist in locating same.

If you are patient, a deal pops up on ebay from time to time. I got a T420 CPU / motherboard for $19 and a complete, working X230 for $45.

I’d say stick with what you have. While I have newer ThinkPads, the T420 (with an Ivy Bridge upgrade) is still my primary machine.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.